About Potts Law Firm
– Derek H. Potts
Derek H. Potts is a national leader in complex litigation. His record of landmark verdicts and record-setting settlements speaks for itself.
The Potts Law Firm seeks justice for our clients from coast to coast.
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU:
MEET OUR ATTORNEYS
Derek H. Potts
National Managing Partner Paralegal: Genae Leal
As founder and Managing Partner of The Potts Law Firm, Derek Potts focuses his casework on complex litigation and trials, including mass torts, pharmaceutical matters, and medical device cases. He has become a respected name among the legal community, serving in various national litigation leadership roles, speaking at numerous seminars throughout the country, and obtaining landmark jury verdicts and settlements for his clients.
His impressive list of awards and honors includes recognition among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by The National Trial Lawyers, being selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America and being named Best of the Bar by the Kansas City Business Journal and American Lawyer Media, and Martindale-Hubbell granted him the title of Top Rated Lawyer in Mass Torts in 2013.
Among his many professional associations, Mr. Potts is a member of the American Association for Justice, where he served on the Board of Governor for New Lawyers for three years. He has also served on the Board of Governors for the Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys and the Kansas Association for Justice. He is also a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Potts attended William Jewell College, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts in History. His scholarship earned him admittance into Phi Alpha Delta, the largest co-ed professional law fraternity in the country. He was also named a member of Mortar Board, a national honor society recognizing outstanding students. After college, he pursued his Juris Doctor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, where he made the Dean’s List, participated as a member of the National Appellate Advocacy Team, and received the Judge Conrad B. Duberstein Appellate Advocacy Award.
After serving as a Prosecutor Intern in the Wyandotte County, Kansas District Attorney’s Office for a year, Mr. Potts joined Brown and James, P.C. and worked for that large defense firm and one other firm for over six years before founding his own practice, where he has earned a reputation as one of the top mass tort lawyers in the country.
Among the many cases he has been a part of, Mr. Potts has served in leadership positions for multiple national litigations, including acting as Liaison and Co-Lead Counsel in In Re Mentor Corp. Obtape Transobturator Sling Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2004 and leading the bellwether trial team in In Re Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 1842 where he was also a member of the Plaintiffs’ Steering committee. He currently serves as a member of the Executive Committee for the plaintiffs in transvaginal mesh consolidated litigation, including In Re C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2187; In Re American Medical Systems, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2325; In Re Boston Scientific Corp., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2326; In Re Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2327; In Re Coloplast Corp., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2387; In Re Cook Medical Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2440; and In Re Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL Case No. 2511. He was appointed Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel in California's Judicial Council Coordinated Proceedings for all Xarelto cases. He is also Plaintiffs’ co-lead counsel in the CR Bard and Neomedic MDLs.
In addition to his work at The Potts Law Firm, he has provided pro bono representation as part of the Jackson County Bar Association Volunteer Attorney Project. In this capacity, he has donated his time and experience to represent indigent clients, children, the elderly, and other individuals who may not be able to afford legal counsel in Kansas City.
He is licensed in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, New York, and Texas, as well as the U.S. District Courts for the District of Kansas, Eastern District of Missouri, Western District of Missouri, Eastern District of Arkansas, Western District of Arkansas, Southern District of New York, Southern District of Texas, Western District of Texas, and the District of West Virginia, and the Middle District of Georgia.
- American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, Top Rated Lawyer in Mass Torts, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
- The National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2011-2014
- Super Lawyers® Texas, 2016
- Super Lawyers® Missouri & Kansas, 2016
- Super Lawyers® Top 100 Missouri & Kansas, 2011
- Super Lawyers® Top 50 Kansas City, 2011
- Chosen to Super Lawyers® Missouri/Kansas, 2008-2014
- Thomas J. Conway Young Trial Lawyers’ Award, Kansas City Missouri Bar Association, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, 2006 – present
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Up and Coming Lawyers Under 40, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2002
Professional Memberships and Associations
- American Association For Justice (AAJ/ATLA), 1995-Present
- Board of Governors for New Lawyers, 2001-2004
- Alloderm Litigation Group/ Co-Chair
- Nursing Home Litigation Group
- Kugel Mesh Litigation Group
- Transvaginal Mesh Litigation Group
- Arkansas State Bar
- Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association 2008 – present
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Kansas State Bar
- Kansas Trial Lawyers Association changed to Kansas Association for Justice, 2000-Present
- Board of Governors, 2009-2014
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 2001-Present
- Missouri Bar Professionalism Committee
- Missouri State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- UMKC School of Law’s Litigation Advisory Committee, 2008- Present
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- 2016 Speaker – “Current Status and Future Potential for the Use of Mesh and Slings in Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery,” American Urogynecologic Society Conference, Denver, Colorado
- 2015 Speaker – GM Litigation for the HarrisMartin Confrence, Miami, Florida
- 2015 Speaker – “Breakout GM Strategy Session,” at the Mass Torts Made Perfect Conference
- 2014 Speaker – HTLA- Law Practice Management, Houston, Texas
- 2014 Speaker – HBA- TVM
- 2014 Speaker – HarrisMartin’s CLE Summit- Major Developments in Drug and Medical Device Litigation (TVM), New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2013 Speaker – Chicago- TVM
- 2012 Speaker – “Mentor ObTape and Transvaginal Mesh (TVM) Litigation Update”, American Association for Justice Teleseminar
- 2010 Speaker – “Weaving Community Safety Standards Through Discovery and Trial”, Kansas Association for Justice Annual Convention, Crown Center, Kansas City, Missouri
- 2010 Speaker – “Implementing Community Safety Standards in Trail”, Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, Bentonville, Arkansas
- 2009 Speaker – “The Reptile And Trial Techniques”, David Ball and Don Keenan Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- 2008 Speaker – “Vytorin and Zetia Class Action”, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 2007 Moderator/Speaker – “Emerging Hospital Liability Trends”, Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2005 Moderator/Speaker – “Update on Nursing Home Litigation,” Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2003 Speaker/Witness – “Prevalence of Medical Malpractice and Its Correlation to Systemic Breakdown in Hospitals”, Missouri Patient Safety Commission
- 2003 Speaker – “Advanced Nursing Home Litigation Strategies” Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2003 Planning Co-Chair/Speaker – “Hot Topics in Medical Malpractice, Hospital and Nursing Home Neglect-Decubitis Ulcers, Malnutrition, and Dehydration”, Missouri Bar, CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2002 Speaker – “Investigation of Nursing Home Resident Abuse and Neglect” Missouri Ombudsman Program/Northwest Region Winter Training Meeting
- 2002 Moderator – “Proving Catastrophic Damages”, Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2002 Speaker – “What is Medical Malpractice?”, American Society of Registered Nurses, ASORN, Annual Meeting, Kansas University Medical Center
- 2001 Moderator/Speaker – “Evaluation and Prosecution of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Cases”, Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri and St. Louis, Missouri
- 2000 Moderator/Speaker – “Nursing Home Negligence: Plaintiff and Defense Perspectives”, Missouri Bar CLE, Kansas City, Missouri
- 1999 Speaker/Witness – “Understaffing in Nursing Homes”, Missouri Senate Elder Law Committee
- 1999 Speaker/Witness – “Prevalence of Nursing Home Abuse”, Missouri House of Representatives Sub-Committee on Elderly Abuse
- 1999 Speaker – “Nursing Home Negligence”, Missouri Ombudsman Program Winter Meeting
- “Wrongful Death Settlements,” 2009 Chapter Supplement, Missouri Bar Litigation Settlements Deskbook
- “Proving Liability for Pressure Ulcers,” August 2002, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Newspaper
- “Proving Traumatic Brain Injury With Positron Emission Tomography,” August 2000, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Newspaper
- “Handling HMO Negligence Cases in Missouri,” July 1999 Missouri Lawyers Weekly Newspaper
- “Newman v. Ford Motor Company, the Confusion Remains over Product Defects,” Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers’ Journal, Winter 1999 edition, page 5.
- “Defective Product Design, What Does “Unreasonable Dangerous” Mean?” December 1998, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Newspaper
- State of Kansas vs. John Cheek Jury Trial- Wyandotte County District Court 1995. Member of Prosecution Trial Team which obtained 1st Degree murder conviction of an off duty police officer.
- Wilburn vs. Bethany Medical Center Jury Trial- Wyandotte District Court, 1995. Member of Plaintiffs Trial Team which obtained a jury verdict for a minor for $4,000,000.
- Sgroi vs. St. Louis University Hospital- St. Louis City District Court, 2009. Lead Plaintiffs Trial Counsel which obtained an $825,000 verdict due to medical malpractice and successfully argued appeal before Missouri Supreme Court upholding verdict. See Sgroi vs SLUH, No. SC 89840.
- Novogradac vs. Shirshekan- Platte County Circuit Court, 2009. Co-Lead Plaintiffs Trial Counsel which obtained $2,500,000 verdict for estate of deceased nursing home resident. See Novogradac v. Shirsheken 295 S.W. 3d 528
- Millard vs. Gard, M.D. - U.S. District Court of Kansas, 2010. Lead Plaintiffs’ Trial Counsel which obtained jury verdict of $12,100,000 for a minor.
- Whitfield vs. C.R. Bard- U.S. District Court of Rhode Island, 2011. Co-Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel which obtained jury finding that C.R. Bard’s Kugel Mesh is unreasonably dangerous.
- Callen vs. Heartland- Buchanan County Circuit Court, 2008. Lead Plaintiffs’ Counsel which obtained $2,300,000 settlement during trial due to medical malpractice.
- In re: Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch Litigation settlement- Lead Negotiating counsel for thousands of cases resulting in multi-million dollar settlement as part of global $184,000,000 settlement.
- In Re: American Medical Systems Litigation settlement- Co-Lead Negotiation counsel for over 13,000 cases resulting in near global settlement estimated to be over one billion.
- In Re: AT&T Mobility Class Action Settlement- Class counsel for consumers in states of New York, New Jersey and Arkansas which participated in a global settlement of $1,200,000,000.
He studied Political Science at Trinity University before pursuing his Juris Doctorate at the University of Houston Law Center. While studying, he participated in multiple competitions as part of the nationally recognized Mock Trial Team and was named the Top Advocate in the National Ethics Trial Competition. He also worked as an associate editor of the Houston Business and Tax Law Journal, where his article was published in 2006. During his second year, he worked as a Judicial Intern for Chief Justice Adele Hedges in the Fourteenth Court of Appeals for the State of Texas before graduating Cum Laude in 2007.
Drew recently was awarded as a Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyer in Texas. This distinguished honor is given to only a select group of lawyers for their superior skills and qualifications in their field. Membership in this exclusive organization is by invitation only, and is limited to the top 40 attorneys under the age of 40 in each state or region who have demonstrated leadership and excellence both in and outside of the courtroom, while also achieving outstanding results throughout their careers in either civil plaintiff or criminal defense law.
After gaining his license to practice in 2007, Mr. Woellner joined the Houston office of a large regional law firm, where he successfully defended cases involving personal injury claims, business disputes, and first-party insurance claims. In this role, he gained valuable experience in resolving a large number of insurance disputes, including successfully recovering the highest percentage recovery of any insurer in a multi-million dollar subrogation matter. In his practice, he has successfully argued before trial courts across Texas. In 2014, he decided to put to use the knowledge he gained defending large corporations and insurance companies for individuals who have been harmed by the negligence of others.
Currently, Mr. Woellner is licensed to appear before all state and federal district courts across Texas. In addition to his work at The Potts Law Firm, he has also provided pro bono representation to the Houston Bar Association’s Veteran’s Legal Clinic and represented indigent clients through the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program.
• U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
• U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
• U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
• U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
• University of Houston Law Center – JD, cum laude
• Trinity University, BA
Honors and Awards
· 10 Best Labor & Employment Attorney in Texas for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Legal Counsel, 2016
· Nominated - Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation, 2016
· Nominated - Best Lawyers in America for Product Liability Litigation, 2016
· Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers in Texas by the National Trial Lawyers, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
· The State Bar of Texas
· American Association for Justice
· Houston Bar Association
· Texas Trial Lawyers Association
· Houston Trial Lawyers Association
Timothy L. Sifers
Kansas City Managing PartnerTim Sifers is the Managing Partner of the The Potts Law Firm, LLP’s Kansas City Office. Tim has over 16-years of experience practicing in the litigation arena working on personal injury motor vehicle/trucking litigation, medical malpractice and nursing home litigation, securities litigation, consumer protection class actions and product liability litigation in mass torts on a nationwide level. Tim graduated from the University of Missouri School of Law in Kansas City. While diligently studying law, he was awarded the American Bar Association National Trial Competition Award and the Order of Barristers for Superior Accomplishment in Trial and Appellate Advocacy. Tim was born and raised in the Kansas City area and lives there currently with his wife and two boys. Tim manages 6 attorneys locally and dedicates his professional life passionately on behalf of his clients. Tim is licensed in both Missouri and Kansas. He has also appeared pro hac vice in Illinois, Arkansas, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. Mr. Sifers commonly speaks at continuing legal education (CLE) seminars addressing personal injury litigation, consumer protection class actions, and pharmaceutical and medical device mass tort litigation. He has been named a Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyer from 2013 to the present. Tim has also been chosen as the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The firm was listed as a first-tier Firm in Missouri’s Best Law Firms as published by U.S. News and World Report. Awards
- Super Lawyers® Missouri & Kansas, 2016
- $12,100,000 verdict in Kansas federal court on behalf of a paralyzed minor in a medical malpractice case;
- $3,000,000 verdict on behalf of a nursing home resident in Missouri;
- $3,500,000 settlement for a child in Missouri;
- $2,500,000 settlement for a medical malpractice case in Kansas; and
- $1,500,000 settlement for a medical malpractice case in Missouri on behalf of a Sudanese family.
- A billion-dollar class action against AT&T representing clients from Arkansas, New York and New Jersey;
- Transvaginal mesh litigation working up hundreds of cases and representing thousands of individuals nationwide;
- Kugel mesh litigation;
- Avandia litigation;
- Yaz litigation; and
- Fen-phen litigation.
Partner Auto Defect Division Houston
As an attorney at The Potts Law Firm, Eric Jensen practices personal injury law, using his extensive experience in serious personal injury, insurance, employment and consumer class action cases. His was previously a founding partner of O’Reilly Jensen & Preston, LLC, where he gained over twenty years of experience. He has in the last 20 years tried numerous first chair jury cases in State and Federal Court, and had tried several hundred administrative or judge tried cases.
Mr. Jensen earned his Bachelor of Arts in History from William Jewell College, where he participated in the Student Senate. He then studied at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, winning the Sheridan Appellate Advocacy Award, granted to the top appellate advocate in the law school. He was also named to the Order of Barristers and was selected for the Law Review. Jensen graduated with his Juris Doctor in 1994.
Among his numerous awards, Mr. Jensen was named a Missouri Super Lawyer in 2012 and 2014. In addition to helping clients in courtrooms throughout the state, he also dedicates his time to worthy causes within the community. He was a Board Member for Isabel’s House, an organization that provides help to children whose families are in crisis, working to fight against abuse and neglect. In addition, he served as a member of The Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ozarks from 2001 to 2007. He currently is a Board Member of the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association.
- Super Lawyers® Missouri & Kansas, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2013 – present
- Member of Federal Practice Committee, 2009
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter Legal Issues in the Workplace, Management Development Institute at Missouri State University, 2014
- Adjunct Faculty - Missouri State University Hospitality Law Class, 2012-2014
- Speaker/Author, Annual Law Update - Employment Law, Missouri Bar Association, 2007-2013
- Topic: Motions to Dismiss and Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Author/Speaker, Federal Practice Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association, 2010
- Author, Missouri Bar Evidence CLE, Chapter 13 Supplement, Missouri Bar Association, 2010
- Subject: Negotiating Separation Agreements, Author/Speaker, Employment Law in Missouri, Sterling Educational Services, 2009
- Author/Speaker, Employment Law for New Lawyers, Missouri Bar CLE for New Lawyers, Missouri Bar Association, 2008
- Presentation at the Sixth Annual Labor and Employment Law Symposium, Author/Speaker, Summary Judgment under the Missouri Human Rights Act, Missouri Bar Assocation, 2007
- Author, Admissibility of of Subsequent Remedial Measures, Insurance Coverage, Settlements, Plea Bargains, and Collateral Payments of Medical Expenses, Missouri Bar CLE Evidence 5th Edition, Missouri Bar Association, 2006
- Author/Speaker, Properly Handling an Employee Complaint in Missouri, Lorman Educational Services, 2003
- Co-Author, "Proof of Damages", Missouri Products Liability Handbook, Missouri Bar Association, 1996
- Author, When Hired Guns Backfire: The Witness Immunity Doctrine and the Negligent Expert Witness, UMKC Law Review, Vol 62, No.1, 1993
Michael K. Whitman
Partner New Mexico - Kansas City
Michael Whitman studied Political Science and Business Administration at William Jewell College and received his Bachelor of Arts before earning his Masters in Business Administration at Shenandoah University. He then pursued his Juris Doctor at the University of Missouri in Kansas City, where he graduated in 1996. During law school, he was selected to work on and write for The University of Kansas Law Review and The Kansas City Journal of Law & Public Policy.
He is now licensed to practice in Kansas, Missouri, and New Mexico.
After law school, he worked for several well-known firms handling cases with a focus on real estate development law, real estate transactions, commercial land use law, and public law.
From 2002-2011, he worked in the title business, performed underwriting and other real estate tasks, as well as gaining Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) experience through land valuation and appraisal matters.
Currently, Mr. Whitman focuses his law practice on environmental nuisance matters, particularly the area of CAFOs as a member of The Potts Law Firm.
Michael Whitman is a happily married father of two children who enjoys participating in their sporting activities, which he coaches a lot of.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas City Missouri Bar Association, former
- Kansas State Bar
- Missouri State Bar
- New Mexico State Bar
Senior Associate - Houston and New Mexico
Adam T. Funk wants to represent you. Get to know Adam and see why.
Adam is educated to help you.
Adam T. Funk graduated from the University of Texas in Austin with a degree in Business Administration. After graduating college in only three years with honors, Adam worked for an Austin law firm specializing in personal injury and product liability. The work experience in Austin helped Adam understand his true calling in life – helping those in need through this nation’s great civil justice system. Soon thereafter, Adam enrolled at the University of Houston Law Center. While in law school, Adam was a member of the Mock Trial Team and the Moot Court Team and competed in numerous tournaments across the nation. On several occasions, Adam was awarded Best Speaker in the tournament. In addition, Adam was also awarded the Order of the Barristers by the Law School – a rarely-given honor bestowed upon students who have excelled in trial advocacy.
Adam is passionate about helping you.
Adam has always been a trial lawyer. Soon after graduating from Law School, Adam immediately went to work at a prestigious firm representing the injured. Adam represented those injured by negligent drivers, by medical professionals, and by huge pharmaceutical corporations. Adam obtained favorable outcomes in trial verdicts and settlements and in his first few years out of law school. His experience led him to be named a Rising Star by Texas Monthly Magazine after only three years practicing law. In 2011, Adam expanded his client base to include Texas and New Mexico. He became an expert in the laws of both states. He spent half his time in Texas and the other half in New Mexico. Throughout his legal career, Adam has only represented those who were personally injured.
Adam is experienced to help you.
Adam has represented thousands of clients who have been injured. Whether he tried their case to a jury or reached a settlement, each client was met with respect, transparency, and honesty. Due to confidential settlement provisions, attorney-client privileges, and Rules of Professional Conduct, Adam cannot specifically list his successes, but refers you to his numerous positive client reviews on various websites. Adam has practiced in 27 different states, 24 federal courts, and has even appeared at the U.S. Supreme Court. He has handled cases involving medical malpractice, car accidents, pharmaceutical products, medical devices, oilfield accidents, birth injuries, and more. Adam’s cases have ranged from leading the fight on behalf of 3,500 clients injured by the pharmaceutical drug Reglan® in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court to trying a case in front of a New Mexico jury on behalf of a widow who lost his spouse due to medical malpractice, and many, many cases in between. Adam’s greatest joy is fighting zealously for his clients to obtain a favorable result in their case.
In his spare time, Adam enjoys spending time with his wife and two young daughters, reading, running, and tracking the success of Lobos football and Houston Rockets basketball.
J.D., University of Houston B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Texas New Mexico
Houston and Fort WorthBlue Rannefeld is a trial lawyer who focuses on eminent domain, and other complex real estate and oil and gas cases. He has substantial experience in real estate valuation, business valuation, environmental, land use, subdivision, leases and oil and gas disputes. Mr. Rannefeld has litigated eminent domain matters throughout Texas, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Blue Rannefeld is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing large corporations and businesses in eminent domain matters. He has also represented numerous clients in complex real estate and oil and gas transactions. Prior to joining the Potts Law Firm, Mr. Rannefeld represented large Public Corporations and Oil and Gas Companies, and he played an integral role in purchasing thousands of miles of right of way. Over the course of his career, Mr. Rannefeld has been responsible for tens of millions of dollars in eminent domain acquisitions for his clients. Mr. Rannefeld has also represented owners of commercial property, multi-family residential property, farmland, industrial property, vacant land, and special use property. Mr. Rannefeld obtained his Bachelor of Arts from Texas Tech University and a Juris Doctorate from Texas A&M School of Law, formerly Texas Wesleyan. Mr. Rannefeld is licensed to practice in all state courts in Texas and the United States District Court. Blue Rannefeld goal is to provide quality service, personalized attention, creative approaches and a results oriented philosophy in handling client matters. PROFESSIONAL PROFILE: • Attorney with more than 17 years of legal experience. • Completed large eminent domain projects in the Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico and has experience dealing with Bureau of Land Management, Oil Conservation Division, Railroad Commission and New Mexico State Land Offices. • Extensive litigation with landowners/royalty owners, joint interest owners, contractors, suppliers, customers, for exploration, production use, land, gas sales/processing, and other agreements. • Drafted, reviewed and/or approved complex contracts across a full range of Real Property and Oil and Gas transactions, including but not limited to the purchase, construction, operations, and sales of oil and gas pipelines. • Offered general corporate and legal advice on compliance requirements, risk exposures and mitigation in areas such as antitrust, bankruptcy, corporate governance, employment, health, environmental and safety, information technology, procurement, public lands and policy. • Represent Large Corporate Entities in general commercial litigation against government agencies and other Large Corporate Entities. EDUCATION AND TRAINING: • Juris Doctorate, Texas A&M School of Law, • Bachelor of Arts Degree, Texas Tech University, • Continuing Legal Education regarding Real Estate, Commercial Litigation, and Eminent Domain. BAR ADMISSIONS AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS: • Member the State Bar of Texas, • American Bar Association. RECENT PROJECTS: Purchase of approximately 450 miles of right-of-way acquisition in Western Texas and Eastern New Mexico. Tasked with acquiring right of way easements by Eminent Domain. Project required thirty foot permanent easement widths and forty five foot temporary and additional workspaces necessary to construct pipelines. Pipeline right of way acquisition consisted of rural and suburban areas securing all rights to construct and operate the pipelines. Purchase of approximately 330 miles of right-of-way through eminent domain for a dual circuit 345- kV transmission line, for wind-generated electricity from areas of West Texas. The transmission lines traverse Scurry, Fisher, Jones, Shackelford, Eastland, Erath, Comanche, Bosque, Hill and Navarro Counties of Texas. Project was for Competitive Renewable Energy Zone (CREZ) high-voltage electric transmission facilities within the State of Texas. Experience with the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) and with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NAERC).
Mr. Ricks was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, and moved to Sugar Land, Texas in 1980. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Lamar University in 1988. Thereafter, he attended South Texas College of Law and received his Juris Doctorate in 1993.He was a graduate of Leadership Montgomery County Class of 2014 and remains active in that organization. He served as the Team Lead of the Employment Law Update for The Woodlands Chamber of Commerce in 2014. In the past, he served as a Director of the Amarillo Area Young Lawyers Association in 1999-2000. He also served on the Board of Directors for the Amarillo Area Adult Literacy Council from 1997-2000. Mr. Ricks has been an avid litigator throughout his career, trying his first case less than one month after receiving his law license. His successful trial experience includes trials in federal and state courts, as well as in binding arbitrations. Throughout his career, Mr. Ricks’ litigation experience included general civil litigation, personal injury, commercial litigation, construction litigation, insurance disputes, business valuation disputes, and employment law. Today, he focuses his practice in the areas of commercial litigation, general civil litigation, and employment law. Mr. Ricks is licensed to practice in the following courts:
- All state courts in Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
Scott Fraser is an attorney working on a multi-district litigation product liability suit with the Potts Law Firm and the Mesh Litigation Center. Scott is the lead attorney for client communication on the transvaginal mesh docket and is responsible for helping client’s resolve their mesh claim. He represents clients from all over the country in obtaining settlements for their mesh litigation cases.
Scott graduated from Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, and taught high school before deciding to move to Texas to pursue his dream of becoming an attorney. In May of 2014, Scott received his Juris Doctorate degree from South Texas College of Law where he focused his studies on complex civil litigation, dispute resolution and commercial law. In addition to his legal studies, Scott participated on his law school’s arbitration and mediation teams, highlighted by his team’s 1st overall placement in the INADR International Mediation Tournament.
As an active member in the legal community, he regularly participates as a negotiation and mediation coach at his former law school, and is currently publishing legal works on various civil and commercial law topics. Prior to working at the Potts Law Firm and while waiting for his bar results, Scott performed over 200 hours of pro bono legal services at the Randal O. Sorrels Legal clinic for less fortunate individuals in the Houston area who could not afford legal services.
Morgan Marichal earned her license to practice law in the state of Texas in May, 2015. After becoming licensed Mrs. Marichal joined The Potts Law Firm as an Associate Attorney. As an integral part of the mass-tort litigation division of the firm Mrs. Marichal handles several dockets, including the widely publicized General Motors Ignition Switch Defect Litigation. Notably, Mrs. Marichal, alongside several other promising associates within the firm, was recently named as a nominee for the Texas Super Lawyers list of the Top 40 Attorneys Under 40.
Prior becoming a licensed attorney Mrs. Marichal obtained her paralegal degree, which inspired her to advance her career in the legal field. Shortly after attending Rice University, Mrs. Marichal decided to pursue her law degree at South Texas College of Law where she earned her Juris Doctor in 2014. Prior to her legal education, Mrs. Marichal attended the University of San Diego. She graduated with honors in 2010, earning a Bachelor of Arts in History.
Morgan Marichal was born and raised in Beaumont, Texas where she graduated from Monsignor Kelly Catholic High School in 2006. Mrs. Marichal played for both the varsity soccer and varsity tennis teams all four years of high school and was named Captain of the varsity soccer team her senior year.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
B. Cody Linn
Cody Linn is responsible for managing the firm’s auto claims docket. A native Texan, Cody has focused his legal career on representing Plaintiffs. He has substantial experience in personal injury and commercial litigation claims, including automobile and trucking accidents, workplace injuries, premises liabilities, product defects and pharmaceutical defects. He has represented Plaintiffs in courtrooms all across the State of Texas.
During law school and post-graduation, Cody worked for a prestigious commercial litigation firm in Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, where he assisted in a multi-million dollar verdict on his first jury trial. He then transitioned into personal injury at a successful firm in New Braunfels, Texas where he gained substantial pre-litigation and trial experience representing clients across the greater San Antonio/Austin area. Before joining the Potts Law Firm, he honed his skills at a prominent personal injury firm in Houston. Cody’s work experience throughout Texas has given him valuable insight into different jurisdictions across the state, which has helped him maximize the value of his clients’ claims.EDUCATION:
- Juris Doctor, 2009, Texas A&M University School of Law, Fort Worth.
- Bachelor of Arts in Government, 2005, The University of Texas at Austin.
- State Bar of Texas, 2009
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Fort Bend County Bar Association, Member
- Catholic Charities, Volunteer Attorney
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers, Volunteer Attorney
Associate Kansas City
As an associate with Potts Law Firm, Nate actively participates in the handling and litigation of complex product liability, personal injury, and eminent domain matters. Nate began working with the firm after his first year in law school. Since then, he has helped gain favorable results for clients all across the nation.
A people person, Nate has always had a passion for helping and getting to know others. “As an attorney, I am in a unique position to get to know people on a professional and personal level. Even though I operate in a professional environment, these matters concern my client’s private lives and their livelihood. This is not something I take lightly.” Regardless of the issues at stake, Nate excels at maintaining a real relationship with those involved. His care for clients is matched only by his ability to professionally and diligently respond to their cases.
Born and raised in Kansas City, Nate attended Rockhurst High School where he learned to embody the school’s mantra of being a “Man for Others.” Nate pursued his law degree at the University of Kansas where he earned his Juris Doctor in 2015. Prior to his legal education, Nate received his degree in psychology from Creighton University, where he was an active member in his fraternity’s philanthropy work and frequent volunteer at area schools. Nate is licensed in Kansas and Missouri.
Matt P. Tabakman
As an associate at The Potts Law Firm, Matthew Tabakman uses his litigation experience to pursue property insurance and personal injury claims on behalf of his clients. Having practiced law in Central Florida since 2002, Matt has handled these types of cases from the time they are pre-suit claims, through the litigation process to negotiated settlement or jury verdict.
Matt studied political science at the State University of New York at Binghamton and international affairs at The George Washington University before pursuing his Juris Doctorate at the University of Florida Levin College of Law. While in law school, he participated in competitions as part of the nationally recognized Moot Court Team and served as law clerk to the Honorable Walter Komanski of the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court in Orlando.
Since attaining his license to practice in 2002, Matt has worked for regional and statewide law firms, where he successfully defended cases involving personal injury claims, professional liability and medical licensure cases, and first-party property insurance suits. In these roles, he gained valuable experience working with some of the largest insurance carriers in the nation. He is happy to utilize that experience on behalf of individuals and businesses that have been harmed by others.
Matt Tabakman is a member of the American Bar Association, the National LGBT Bar Association (an affiliate of the ABA), and he has served as a Board Member of the Florida Association of LGBT Lawyers and Allies and the Central Florida Gay and Lesbian Law Association (both voluntary bar associations of The Florida Bar). Matt is licensed to practice law in the State of Florida, the District of Columbia, and the State of New York, as well as the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Courts for the Middle District of Florida, and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Michael was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He studied history and economics at Texas A&M University where he graduated in 2008. He received his Juris Doctorate from South Texas College of Law where he was a quarter-finalist in the Garland R. Walker Memorial mock trial competition.
Since earning his license to practice law in 2012, he has gained substantial experience by ardently representing individuals in insurance disputes, catastrophic injury suits, and eminent domain matters. His passion in representing individuals has led to him being recognized as a Rising Star by Texas SuperLawyers in 2016 and 2017. He has represented clients all across the State of Texas and is licensed in the Southern District of Texas. Michael is a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, and the Houston Young Lawyers Association.
Of Counsel Houston
Mark was born and raised in Houston, Texas. He attended law school at South Texas College of Law in Houston where he excelled as a member of the school's varsity moot court and mock trial teams. In 2001, Mr. Junell won the National Championship ABA Moot Court competition after arguing in front of members of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.
After law school, Mark spent 5 years litigating for one Texas’ oldest and largest law firms, Thompson Knight LLP. In 2008, Mark launched his own law firm and practiced commercial litigation under The Junell Law Firm for the next 7 years.
Today, Mark focuses his practice on general civil and complex commercial litigation in federal and state trial and appellate courts, and before arbitration panels. He represents clients in commercial disputes, contracts, personal injury, construction litigation, business torts, fraud, real estate disputes, deceptive trade practices, negligence, professional liability, condemnation, corporate governance, shareholder/partnership disputes, and trademark/copyright.
Mark is licensed to practice law in all state courts in Texas as well as before the United States District Courts for the Southern District of Texas and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Mark is a member of the State Bar of Texas, American Bar Association, and Houston Bar Association.
Of Counsel Houston
Harris Junell, born Houston, Texas; He is licensed to practice law in both Texas and Pennsylvania.
Harris Junell is Of Counsel in the Potts Law Firm. His practice is devoted primarily to litigation matters where he focuses on various products liability, personal injury and complex commercial litigations. Harris has represented tens of thousands of clients who have been injured by exposure to asbestos, refinery explosions, dangerous drugs and medical devices. Some notable cases that he has been involved with include representing over 260 clients in the 2005 BP Explosion in Texas City, and representing tens of thousands of clients involving the pharmaceutical drugs and devices: Zyprexa, Paxil, Phen-Fen, Avandia, Trasylol, Depuy Hip Implants, Depakote, Accutane, Zoloft, and Trans-Vaginal Mesh to name a few.
Harris has managed numerous IRS 1.468(b) qualified settlement funds for various pharmaceutical mass tort settlements and has been one of the lead attorneys in the negotiation, administration and resolution of various settlement agreements that have resolved over $2 billion in individual clients settlements over the last 10 years. Harris was one of the lead attorneys who recently negotiated and successfully settled the single largest settlement in the country in the Trans-Vaginal Mesh litigation. He is the managing partner of a mesh claims administration center set up to resolve tens of thousands of mesh Claimants consolidated from over 200 participating plaintiff firms across the country.
Prior to joining the firm, Harris worked for Bracewell & Giuliani LLP, a national full service law firm with over 400 lawyers worldwide. Harris also clerked for the Honorable Chief Justice Scott Brister on the Fourteenth Court of Appeals in Houston, Texas. Before Harris became a lawyer, he worked as a Financial and Risk Management Analyst in both commercial banking and private equity for several years.
Harris is married and has three children, Bailey (11), Georgia (8), and Austin (3) and a yellow lab named Sage. They all live in Houston, Texas.
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Texas Super Lawyers
- American Trial Lawyers Association – Top 100 Trial Lawyers 2007 – 2014 •Houston Law Review •University of Texas – Silver Spurs Honorary Service Organization
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Pennsylvania
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation – Life Fellow
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Federal District Courts for the Southern District of Texas
EDUCATION AND ADMISSIONS
- University of Texas (B.A.)
- University of Houston (J.D., cum laude) •University of Houston (M.B.A.)
Dylan H. Potts
Arkansas Special CounselDylan H. Potts is a director and shareholder with Gill Ragon Owen, P.A., based in Little Rock, Arkansas and serves as Of Counsel in the Potts Law Firm. His practice is focused on complex commercial litigation with significant experience in litigating complex employment claims. In his capacity as Of Counsel for the Potts Law Firm, Dylan oversees the firm’s Arkansas litigation docket. Dylan’s civil jury trial experience includes the successful defense of a majority shareholder in securities fraud litigation in one of Arkansas’ longest jury trials, the successful defense of a majority managing member facing fraud and fiduciary duty claims and the successful prosecution of fraud and contract claims against a national oil franchise. Dylan is routinely recognized for his accomplishments by such publications as Chambers and Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Super Lawyers. Dylan holds an AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the organizations’ highest rank. Dylan and his wife, Angie, have a daughter, Caroline, and two sons, Christian and Jude. HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
- “Chambers and Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business; 2012-2015
- “Best Lawyers in Little Rock”, Little Rock Soiree
- Super Lawyers;2012-2015
- AV Rating--Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Arkansas
- Federal District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- Arkansas Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Judge Henry Woods Inn of Court
- Hendrix College
- William Bowen School of Law (2001)
Of Counsel Houston
Mr. Burnett is a nationally-recognized trial attorney with extensive multi-state experience. The focus of Mr. Burnett’s practice is mass torts, including pharmaceutical, medical device, and mass disaster litigation.
Mr. Burnett has represented clients in pharmaceutical cases nationwide, such as Paxil, Fen-Phen, Avandia, DePuy ASR, DePuy Pinnacle, Vioxx, and Zoloft. Mr. Burnett currently represents women who were prescribed Vaginal Mesh products and serves as the co-lead of Coloplast on the Plaintiff Steering Committees for MDL 2187 In Re: C.R. Bard, Inc., MDL 2327, In Re: Ethicon, Inc., MDL 2325 In Re: American Medical Systems, and MDL 236 In Re: Boston Scientific Corp.
Mr. Burnett has held many leadership positions. He served as Plaintiffs’ Co-Liaison Counsel for the lawsuits arising out of the March 23, 2005 explosion at the British Petroleum facility in Texas City. This explosion resulted in fifteen deaths, hundreds of injuries and numerous lawsuits. He is also Co-Liaison Counsel in several counties for the thousands of lawsuits arising out of Hurricane Ike insurance claims disputes, and serves on several Plaintiff Steering Committees for various MDL’s created to manage the Hurricane Ike litigation.
Mr. Burnett received his undergraduate education at the University of Texas where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics in 1987. In 1991, he earned his law degree at the University Of Houston Law Center, graduating cum laude. He has been licensed to practice law since 1991 and is admitted to practice in state and federal court in Texas and in Pennsylvania State Court.
Mr. Burnett’s peers have routinely recognized him as one of the top rated trial lawyers, and he is a member of both the Association of Trial Lawyers of America and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to recieve a free and confidential intial consultation.