An aviation accident is defined as an occurrence associated with an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight until such time when all persons have disembarked, where a person is fatally or seriously injured. An aviation accident also includes when the aircraft sustains damage, structural failure, the aircraft is missing or is completely inaccessible, or if the aircraft collides with and causes damage to those on the ground. Aviation accidents can be far more devastating than car accidents (link to: Page on Car Accidents) due to the number of victims and severity of injuries. The big airline companies and their legal resources often intimidate victims’ families.
What Are The Statistics Surrounding Aviation Accidents?
- In 2012, there were 1,539 U.S. civil aviation accidents, 280 of which were fatal.
- When civil aviation accidents included fatalities, all passengers and crew aboard were killed.
- In recent times, the most aviation accident fatalities occurred in 2001, when 483 people were killed. The next two most dangerous years were 1996 when 319 died and 1995 when 228 died.
- The most common cause of fatal aviation accidents in the 2000’s was pilot error that was either weather or mechanical related.
- The next most common causes of fatal aviation accidents in the 2000’s were general mechanical failure, weather, sabotage, and other causes.
- The most common time for fatal aviation accidents to occur is during the plane’s final approach and landing, which accounted for 36% of all crashes.
What Causes Aviation Accidents?
There are many causes of aviation accidents, many of which the passenger has no control over. They include:
- Bird strikes
- Air traffic control error
- Cargo hold or cabin fire
- Design flaw
- Insufficient fuel
- Pilot incapacitation
- Explosive device
Personal Injury Lawyer & Aviation Accident Lawsuits
If you or someone you know has been the victim of an aviation accident, the loss can be devastating; however, families may be able to recover monetary damages with the help of an experienced aviation accident attorney. To learn more about all of your options after an aviation accident, call us toll free at 888-902-6245 for a free consultation to discuss your case.