Medical Malpractice Attorneys
Medical malpractice is defined as improper, unskilled, or negligent treatment of a patient by a physician, dentist, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care professional. It can lead to a number of serious ailments from birth injuries to negligent end of life care. The burden of proving medical malpractice is on the plaintiff in a lawsuit, and any person who alleges medical malpractice must prove four criteria:
- A duty of care was owed by the physician.
- The physician violated the applicable standard of care
- The person suffered a compensable injury
- The injury was proximately caused by the substandard conduct
A few common examples of medical malpractice include misdiagnosis, misinterpretation of lab results, unnecessary or wrong site surgery, improper medication, poor follow up care, premature discharge from healthcare facility, failure to order proper test or recognize symptoms, and disregarding patient history. Contact our Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys for more information today.
What Are The Statistics Surrounding Medical Malpractice?
- Nearly 50% of malpractice trials were against surgeons in 75 of the largest counties in the U.S.
- Nearly 33% of malpractice trials were against non-surgeons in 75 of the largest counties in the U.S.
- An estimated 25% of practicing physicians are sued annually
- An estimated 50% to 65% of physicians are sued at least once during their career
- 191,804 medical malpractice reports were made to the National Practitioner Databank regarding physicians in the U.S. between 1990 and 2004
- The most commonly sued specialty in medical malpractice cases is internal medicine
- The least sued specialties in medical malpractice cases include dermatology at 1%, HIV/infectious disease at 1%, and allergy and clinical immunology at 0.4%.
- The most common reason for medical malpractice lawsuits was failure to diagnose at 35%, followed by failure to treat at 17%, informed consent at 4%, and various others making up the rest.
Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice Lawsuits
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a negligent physician or any form of medical malpractice, it is important to have an experienced attorney on your side.
To learn more about all of your options, call our Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys toll free at 888-902-6245 for a free consultation to discuss your case.