Dallas Seatbelt Injury Attorneys
Injured by a Defective Seatbelt in Dallas, TX?
Seatbelts are essential safety features in vehicles, designed to protect drivers and passengers in the event of a collision. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), seatbelts save thousands of lives every year and significantly reduce the risk of severe injuries in accidents. However, when these safety mechanisms fail due to defects, the consequences can be catastrophic.
At Potts Law Firm, our Dallas seatbelt injury attorneys can help. Our legal team is prepared to fight for you. We can negotiate with insurance companies and work to recover the maximum compensation available.
We can also represent you in court if negotiations fail. We have experience in all types of personal injury and product liability cases, including those involving defective seatbelts.
Common Types of Seatbelt Defects
Seatbelt defects can pose significant risks to the safety of vehicle occupants in the event of an accident. These defects can compromise the effectiveness of seatbelts, leading to serious injuries or fatalities.
Here are some common types of seatbelt defects:
- Latch or Buckle Failure: The latch or buckle is the component that holds the two ends of the seatbelt together. If the latch or buckle is defective, it may not properly secure the seatbelt, leading to accidental release during a collision.
- Torn or Frayed Webbing: The webbing is the fabric strap that makes up the seatbelt. Over time, wear and tear or exposure to harsh conditions can cause the webbing to become torn, frayed, or weakened, reducing its ability to restrain occupants in a crash.
- Retractor Malfunction: The retractor is responsible for keeping the seatbelt snug and pulling back excess webbing during normal use. If the retractor is defective, it may not function correctly during an accident, causing excessive slack in the seatbelt and failing to restrain the occupant properly.
- Pre-tensioner Failure: Many modern vehicles are equipped with pre-tensioners, which are devices that automatically tighten the seatbelt in the event of a crash. If the pre-tensioner malfunctions, it may not engage or properly tighten the seatbelt, reducing its effectiveness.
- False Latching: Sometimes, due to manufacturing defects or design flaws, seatbelt latches may appear to be secured when they are not fully engaged. This can give occupants a false sense of security, leading to severe consequences in a crash.
- Inertial Unwinding: Inertial unwinding occurs when the seatbelt's retractor allows the webbing to unwind during sudden braking or acceleration, effectively loosening the seatbelt and failing to restrain the occupant properly.
- Design Flaws: Some seatbelt defects can be attributed to poor design choices or inadequate testing. For example, a seatbelt anchor point may be poorly positioned or not strong enough to withstand the forces of a crash.
- Sensor or Electronic Component Failure: In vehicles equipped with advanced safety systems, seatbelts may be integrated with sensors and electronics. Failure of these components can lead to malfunctioning seatbelt systems.
Understanding Seatbelt Injuries
Seatbelt injuries can occur for various reasons, and their severity may range from minor bruising to more severe injuries, including broken bones, internal injuries, and whiplash. In some cases, improperly designed or defective seatbelts can exacerbate injuries, making it crucial to investigate the specifics of the accident and the functionality of the seatbelt.
Common types of seatbelt injuries include:
- Soft Tissue Injuries: These are often characterized by bruising, sprains, and strains, which may seem minor initially but can lead to prolonged pain and discomfort.
- Chest Injuries: The force of the seatbelt tightening during an accident can cause chest injuries, such as contusions or fractures, especially if the accident is severe.
- Abdominal Injuries: Seatbelts can sometimes cause abdominal injuries, particularly in high-speed collisions, which may lead to organ damage and internal bleeding.
- Shoulder Injuries: The impact of an accident can result in shoulder injuries, such as dislocations or fractures, due to the force exerted by the seatbelt.
- Neck Injuries: Whiplash is a common seatbelt-related injury, where the rapid back-and-forth motion of the neck can strain or damage soft tissues and ligaments.
How Can a Dallas Seatbelt Injury Lawyer Help?
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries due to a defective seatbelt in Dallas, Texas, you don't have to face the legal battle alone. At Potts Law Firm, we understand the devastating consequences defective seatbelts can have on victims and their families. Our experienced team of Dallas seatbelt injury lawyers is committed to seeking justice and compensation for those who have been harmed by faulty seatbelt systems.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Commercial Property Dispute $645,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated a settlement on behalf of a client whose land was taken by a private power line company. The company’s original offer of $430,000 failed to consider the decrease in aesthetic value that the scenic ranch in the Texas Hill Country would incur from the power line installation.
Surgical Negligence $600,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $600,000 settlement for a young woman who was a victim of New Mexico medical malpractice. The woman underwent gallbladder removal surgery; the most common operation in America. The surgeon negligently performed the procedure, allowing bile to spill within the woman’s abdominal cavity before closing her incision.
Wrongful Death of Employee $6.35 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of a man who was killed while on the job due to a product failure. After a short time in litigation, Potts Law Firm was able to settle the case and also received a voluntary worldwide recall of the product; ensuring no one else would suffer injuries or death resulting from the failed product in the future.
East Texas Residential Property $454,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a residential property owner whose East Texas land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $31,343 did not consider damages that the remaining land would incur from the new road build.
Seat Back Failure Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer when the client’s vehicle was struck by another vehicle causing the driver’s seat to collapse backward allowing the client to be thrown into the back seat where she received spinal cord injuries, rendering her a quadriplegic.
Surgical Negligence Confidential Settlement
Potts Law Firm achieved a settlement for a medical malpractice case on behalf of a minor injured during surgery in Kansas.
Defective Airbag Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer for the clients when their nine-year-old daughter was killed by the passenger side airbag in this low-energy collision.
Foot Injury $750,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $750,000 settlement for an oil rig worker whose foot was severely injured after being caught in rig tongs. The oil rig company had failed to properly tag out and lock out the tongs after a power outage. When the power returned to the rig, the tongs closed on the worker’s foot, crushing his bones.
Residential Property Roof Damage Substantial Settlement
Partner Andrew A. Woellner was privileged to represent another attorney in his fight against an underpaying insurance carrier. When his home was damaged by hail in Dallas, Texas, the insurance carrier told him that only 3 roof tiles were damaged, and the repair did not exceed the deductible.
Commercial Property Dispute $713,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a commercial property owner whose land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $466,396 did not consider other reasonable comparable sales in the area.