Houston Bus Accident Attorneys
Bus accidents can be frightening and traumatic experiences, often resulting in significant physical, emotional, and financial consequences for those involved. Whether you were a passenger on a city bus, a student on a school bus, or a traveler on an interstate coach, understanding your rights and the legal aspects surrounding bus accidents is crucial.
At Potts Law Firm, we are your trusted advocates for bus accident cases in Dallas, TX. Call (214) 238-8572 today to learn how we can help you after an accident.
On This Page:
- Types of Bus Accidents
- Common Causes of Bus Accidents
- Factors Contributing to Bus Accidents
- Common Bus Accident Injuries
- Bus Accident Investigations
- Who Can Be Held Liable for a Bus Accident?
Types of Bus Accidents
Whether you commute on a city bus, travel by interstate bus, or embark on a sightseeing tour, bus accidents can happen unexpectedly. Understanding the different types of bus accidents can help you better comprehend the legal aspects involved.
- City Bus Accidents: City buses, such as those operated by Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), are a common mode of transportation in urban areas. Accidents involving city buses can occur due to driver negligence, inadequate maintenance, or other factors.
- School Bus Accidents: School bus accidents are a distressing reality that affects students and their families. These accidents may involve collisions with other vehicles, pedestrian accidents, or even bus-related incidents while boarding or alighting.
- Charter Bus Accidents: Charter buses are frequently used for group trips, tours, or special events. These accidents can result from driver fatigue, inadequate training, improper loading, or negligent maintenance.
- Greyhound/Interstate Bus Accidents: Long-distance bus travel, such as Greyhound or interstate buses, is a convenient option for many. Unfortunately, accidents involving these buses can have devastating consequences, including high-speed collisions or rollovers.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Understanding the common causes of bus accidents can shed light on the factors that contribute to these unfortunate incidents. Identifying the cause is crucial in determining liability and seeking justice for the victims.
- Driver Error: Bus accidents often occur due to driver negligence, including distracted driving, speeding, reckless maneuvering, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Inadequate maintenance of buses can lead to mechanical failures, brake malfunctions, tire blowouts, or other equipment-related issues that can result in accidents.
- Road Conditions: Unsafe road conditions, such as potholes, inadequate signage, or poorly designed intersections, can contribute to bus accidents.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Inclement weather, such as heavy rain, snow, or fog, can increase the risk of bus accidents by reducing visibility and making roads slippery.
- Fatigue and Inadequate Rest: Bus drivers often work long hours without sufficient rest, leading to fatigue and decreased alertness, which can significantly impact their driving abilities.
Factors Contributing to Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can involve a combination of factors that contribute to their occurrence. Recognizing these factors is essential in determining liability and seeking appropriate compensation.
- Negligent Bus Company Practices: Bus companies may prioritize profits over safety, leading to inadequate training, hiring drivers with poor records, or failing to address maintenance issues promptly.
- Traffic Violations: Bus accidents can occur when drivers violate traffic laws, such as running red lights, making illegal turns, or failing to yield the right-of-way.
- Passenger Behavior: Disruptive or unruly behavior by passengers can distract the driver, potentially leading to accidents.
- Defective Bus Parts: Faulty bus parts or manufacturing defects can contribute to accidents, making manufacturers or suppliers liable for the resulting damages.
- Lack of Safety Measures: Inadequate safety measures, such as the absence of seatbelts or improper securing of luggage, can exacerbate injuries during a bus accident.
As you navigate the aftermath of a bus accident, it is crucial to seek the guidance of an experienced bus accident lawyer to protect your rights and pursue fair compensation. At Potts Law Firm, we specialize in handling bus accident cases in Dallas, TX, and are committed to advocating for accident victims throughout the legal process.
Common Bus Accident Injuries
Bus accidents can cause severe injuries that result in physical, emotional, and financial hardships for victims. Some common injuries that result from bus accidents include:
- Whiplash and Neck Injuries: The sudden jolts and impacts of a bus accident can cause whiplash, neck strains, and other soft tissue injuries, leading to pain, limited mobility, and long-term complications.
- Head and Brain Injuries: Bus accidents can result in head injuries, ranging from concussions to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), which can have lasting cognitive, physical, and emotional effects.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Severe impacts in bus accidents can cause spinal cord injuries, resulting in partial or complete paralysis and requiring extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Broken Bones and Fractures: The forceful impact of a bus accident can lead to fractures and broken bones, requiring surgeries, immobilization, and rehabilitation.
- Emotional Trauma: Bus accidents can leave victims with emotional trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression, necessitating psychological support and therapy.
Understanding the extent and impact of your injuries is crucial for seeking the appropriate compensation in your bus accident lawsuit. At Potts Law Firm, our dedicated team of bus accident attorneys in Dallas, is committed to helping you recover and securing the compensation you deserve for your injuries and related damages.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Thorough investigations play a vital role in bus accident cases, as they help uncover critical evidence, identify liable parties, and establish the cause of the accident. Skilled bus accident attorneys employ various investigative techniques to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Gathering Evidence: Attorneys will gather evidence from multiple sources, including accident reports, witness statements, photographs or videos of the accident scene, and data from the bus's onboard recording systems.
- Accident Reconstruction: Accident reconstruction specialists use scientific methods to recreate the accident scene, analyzing factors such as vehicle positions, speeds, and road conditions to determine how the accident occurred.
- Expert Witnesses: Attorneys may consult with expert witnesses, such as engineers, medical professionals, or accident reconstruction specialists, to provide professional opinions and testify in support of your case.
- Document Review: Attorneys meticulously review documents, including driver records, maintenance logs, training records, and any relevant contracts or agreements, to uncover evidence of negligence or noncompliance.
- Preservation of Evidence: Ensuring the preservation of crucial evidence, such as the bus's black box data or surveillance footage, is crucial to prevent spoliation and strengthen your case.
Commercial Property Dispute $645,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated a settlement on behalf of a client whose land was taken by a private power line company. The company’s original offer of $430,000 failed to consider the decrease in aesthetic value that the scenic ranch in the Texas Hill Country would incur from the power line installation.
Surgical Negligence $600,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $600,000 settlement for a young woman who was a victim of New Mexico medical malpractice. The woman underwent gallbladder removal surgery; the most common operation in America. The surgeon negligently performed the procedure, allowing bile to spill within the woman’s abdominal cavity before closing her incision.
Wrongful Death of Employee $6.35 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of a man who was killed while on the job due to a product failure. After a short time in litigation, Potts Law Firm was able to settle the case and also received a voluntary worldwide recall of the product; ensuring no one else would suffer injuries or death resulting from the failed product in the future.
East Texas Residential Property $454,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a residential property owner whose East Texas land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $31,343 did not consider damages that the remaining land would incur from the new road build.
Seat Back Failure Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer when the client’s vehicle was struck by another vehicle causing the driver’s seat to collapse backward allowing the client to be thrown into the back seat where she received spinal cord injuries, rendering her a quadriplegic.
Surgical Negligence Confidential Settlement
Potts Law Firm achieved a settlement for a medical malpractice case on behalf of a minor injured during surgery in Kansas.
Defective Airbag Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer for the clients when their nine-year-old daughter was killed by the passenger side airbag in this low-energy collision.
Foot Injury $750,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $750,000 settlement for an oil rig worker whose foot was severely injured after being caught in rig tongs. The oil rig company had failed to properly tag out and lock out the tongs after a power outage. When the power returned to the rig, the tongs closed on the worker’s foot, crushing his bones.
Residential Property Roof Damage Substantial Settlement
Partner Andrew A. Woellner was privileged to represent another attorney in his fight against an underpaying insurance carrier. When his home was damaged by hail in Dallas, Texas, the insurance carrier told him that only 3 roof tiles were damaged, and the repair did not exceed the deductible.
Commercial Property Dispute $713,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a commercial property owner whose land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $466,396 did not consider other reasonable comparable sales in the area.