Dallas Distracted Driving Accident Lawyers
Helping Victims of Distracted Driving in the Dallas, TX
Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of accidents in Houston and across the state of Texas. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that over 3,000 people died in accidents involving distracted driving in the United States in 2021.
If you were injured in an accident caused by a driver who was using a handheld device, you may be able to recover compensation for your damages.
At Potts Law Firm, our Dallas distracted driving accident attorneys are here to help you do just that. We will work tirelessly to build the strongest possible case on your behalf and ensure that you receive the maximum recovery.
What Is Considered "Distracted Driving"?
The term "distracted driving" refers to any activity that takes a driver's eye, hands, and/or attention away from the task of driving. This can significantly increase the risk of accidents and lead to serious injuries.
The following are several common types of distractions that contribute to distracted driving:
- Cell Phones and Smart Devices: The use of cell phones for texting, calling, browsing the internet, or using apps is one of the most prevalent and dangerous distractions. Drivers may be tempted to glance at their phones, which takes their eyes off the road and hands off the steering wheel, impairing their ability to react quickly to changing traffic conditions.
- Eating and Drinking: Consuming food or beverages while driving can cause distractions as it requires the use of hands and takes focus away from the road. Spills, reaching for items, or unwrapping food can lead to potentially hazardous situations.
- Adjusting In-Car Systems: Adjusting the radio, climate control, GPS navigation, or other in-car systems can lead to cognitive and visual distractions, taking the driver's attention off the road.
- Talking to Passengers: Engaging in conversations with passengers, especially if they are highly emotional or animated, can divert a driver's attention from the task of driving.
- Grooming and Personal Hygiene: Activities like applying makeup, shaving, combing hair, or adjusting clothing while driving can be highly distracting and increase the risk of accidents.
- External Factors: Outside distractions, such as looking at billboards, watching events on the roadside, or being captivated by an accident scene, can divert attention from driving.
- Daydreaming: A driver may become lost in thought, lose focus on the road, and fail to notice potential hazards.
- Using Navigation Devices: While GPS navigation is helpful for directions, inputting destinations or following the directions on-screen can take a driver's eyes off the road.
- Rubbernecking: Slowing down or paying excessive attention to an accident scene or any unusual event on the roadside can be distracting and potentially lead to a chain reaction of accidents.
- Fatigue: Being tired or drowsy while driving can impair a driver's reaction time and decision-making ability, leading to distractions and lapses in attention.
- External Interactions: Interacting with pedestrians, cyclists, or other drivers while the vehicle is in motion can divert attention from the road.
Our Dallas distracted driving accident lawyers know that distracted driving is a serious issue. The NHTSA estimates that up to 25% of all accidents involve distracted driving. Many of these accidents result in severe injuries and even death. You deserve compensation for your losses.
How Can I Prove That the Accident Was Caused by Distracted Driving?
In order to prove that your accident was caused by distracted driving, you will need to gather evidence and conduct your own investigation. You may be able to prove that the driver was distracted by looking at the driver's cell phone records. You may also be able to obtain the driver's phone itself, which may have evidence of texting or other distracted driving behavior.
In addition, you may be able to prove that the accident was caused by distracted driving by interviewing witnesses to the accident. If you are able to find witnesses who saw the driver using a handheld device before the accident, you can use their testimony to support your claim.
At Potts Law Firm, our Dallas distracted driving accident attorneys are ready to help you gather evidence and prove that the accident was caused by distracted driving. We will work to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover in a Distracted Driving Accident Case?
The amount of compensation you can recover in a distracted driving accident case will depend on the severity of your injuries and the impact the accident had on your life. You may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Potts Law Firm can help you recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
We will work to ensure that you are fairly compensated for your losses. In many cases, we are able to secure settlements that exceed our clients' expectations. We know how to effectively negotiate, and we are always prepared to take your case to trial if necessary.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Commercial Property Dispute $645,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated a settlement on behalf of a client whose land was taken by a private power line company. The company’s original offer of $430,000 failed to consider the decrease in aesthetic value that the scenic ranch in the Texas Hill Country would incur from the power line installation.
Surgical Negligence $600,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $600,000 settlement for a young woman who was a victim of New Mexico medical malpractice. The woman underwent gallbladder removal surgery; the most common operation in America. The surgeon negligently performed the procedure, allowing bile to spill within the woman’s abdominal cavity before closing her incision.
Wrongful Death of Employee $6.35 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of a man who was killed while on the job due to a product failure. After a short time in litigation, Potts Law Firm was able to settle the case and also received a voluntary worldwide recall of the product; ensuring no one else would suffer injuries or death resulting from the failed product in the future.
East Texas Residential Property $454,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a residential property owner whose East Texas land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $31,343 did not consider damages that the remaining land would incur from the new road build.
Seat Back Failure Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer when the client’s vehicle was struck by another vehicle causing the driver’s seat to collapse backward allowing the client to be thrown into the back seat where she received spinal cord injuries, rendering her a quadriplegic.
Surgical Negligence Confidential Settlement
Potts Law Firm achieved a settlement for a medical malpractice case on behalf of a minor injured during surgery in Kansas.
Defective Airbag Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer for the clients when their nine-year-old daughter was killed by the passenger side airbag in this low-energy collision.
Foot Injury $750,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $750,000 settlement for an oil rig worker whose foot was severely injured after being caught in rig tongs. The oil rig company had failed to properly tag out and lock out the tongs after a power outage. When the power returned to the rig, the tongs closed on the worker’s foot, crushing his bones.
Residential Property Roof Damage Substantial Settlement
Partner Andrew A. Woellner was privileged to represent another attorney in his fight against an underpaying insurance carrier. When his home was damaged by hail in Dallas, Texas, the insurance carrier told him that only 3 roof tiles were damaged, and the repair did not exceed the deductible.
Commercial Property Dispute $713,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a commercial property owner whose land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $466,396 did not consider other reasonable comparable sales in the area.