Dallas Intellectual Property Lawyers
Aggressively Protecting Creators’ Rights
Most intellectual property is protected by copyrights, patents, and/or trademarks. When someone misuses or steals intellectual property, creators may have the right to take legal action and pursue compensation for their damages, including financial losses.
At Potts Law Firm, our Dallas intellectual property lawyers represent individuals, businesses, partnerships, and other entities in all types of intellectual property disputes and related matters. Intellectual property creators and owners have the right to control, use, distribute, and maintain their intellectual property. When those rights are infringed upon, you need an experienced legal team by your side that will fight to protect your rights.
Schedule a complimentary consultation with a member of our legal team today; call Potts Law Firm at (214) 238-8572 or contact us online to get started.
What Is Considered Intellectual Property?
Intellectual property, or IP, includes a wide range of creative works and inventions arising from creativity.
Examples of IP include:
- Literary works
- Product names
- Domain names
- Branding materials
- Product ingredients
- Business plans
This is not an exhaustive list; any creative work or invention covered under intellectual property protections is considered “intellectual property.”
Intellectual Property Protections
There are four types of intellectual property protections, each of which covers different types of intellectual property and provides different rights to the owners or creators of those properties.
The four different types of intellectual property protections include:
- Copyrights: Copyrights protect original authored works, such as manuscripts, paintings, screenplays, photographs, musical compositions, sound recordings, films, computer programs, architecture, and more. Copyrights grant sole rights to copyright owners to reproduce and publicly display or perform works, as well as prepare derivative works and sell or distribute works by license or transfer of ownership.
- Trademarks: Trademarks protect words, slogans, product names, symbols, and designs that identify a business or product. Technically, a trademark is used specifically for goods, whereas a “service mark” is used for services. However, most people refer to both types of protections simply as “trademarks.” A trademark grants sole permission to the owner to utilize the trademarked good or service in relation to their business or commercial enterprise.
- Patents: Patents are government-provided protections that grant the owner of the patent the sole right to build, create, use, sell, and distribute an invention. To qualify for a patent, an idea must be “new,” “useful,” and “not obvious.” It must also be considered “patentable” by Congressional distinction and/or according to other courts. There are three different types of patents: utility, design, and plant patents.
- Trade Secrets: A trade secret refers to confidential business information that is not known to the public and which provides some monetary benefit to the business or commercial entity that owns it by not being widely known. The business or commercial entity must also take reasonable measures to keep the information confidential for it to be considered a trade secret. Some examples include business plans, supplier information, and marketing strategies.
The Potts Law Firm team is well-versed in all types of intellectual property protections. We can assist you in obtaining a copyright, trademark, or patent, or protecting your intellectual property and trade secrets through litigation.
Call (214) 238-8572 or contact us online to request a free and confidential consultation.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I highly recommend Adam and Potts Law Firm- Mary H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Types of Intellectual Property Disputes We Handle
Our Dallas intellectual property attorneys represent individual and commercial clients in all types of IP matters, including complex disputes involving copyright, trademark, and patent infringement. We have also litigated claims involving misuse or theft of trade secrets on behalf of businesses throughout the Greater Dallas Area. Our intellectual property practice includes:
- Unlawful reproduction
- Unlawful distribution or sale
- Unauthorized replication
- Purposeful imitation
- Implied ownership
- Copying creative works
- Exploiting a name or likeness
If you need help with an intellectual property dispute or related matter, trust the team at Potts Law Firm. We have extensive experience in this particular area of law and, as a firm, have recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients.