Dallas Underride Accident Attorneys
Compassionate & Aggressive Legal Advocacy
When a large truck collides with a passenger vehicle, the result is almost always catastrophic. Due to the immense size and weight of large trucks, the damage caused to the smaller vehicle is almost always severe, and in many cases, fatal.
If you or a loved one was involved in an underride accident, you are likely dealing with severe emotional, physical, and financial trauma. You need a team of compassionate and aggressive legal advocates who will fight for your rights and your recovery.
At Potts Law Firm, our Dallas underride accident lawyers are ready to help you pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries. We will work tirelessly to ensure the liable party is held accountable and that you have the resources you need to move forward.
Understanding Underride Accidents
An underride accident occurs when a large truck collides with a smaller vehicle and the cargo bed penetrates into the passenger compartment. Due to the immense weight of these trucks, the cargo bed can crush the passenger compartment and push it into the passenger's seat, the passenger's body, or even outside of the vehicle.
Some common causes of underride accidents include:
- Truck Braking: If a truck suddenly brakes or slows down without proper warning to the vehicles behind it, cars may not have enough time to stop, leading to an underride collision.
- Poor Visibility: Large trucks and trailers can have blind spots that make it difficult for drivers to see smaller vehicles approaching from behind, increasing the risk of an underride accident.
- Inadequate Reflectors and Lights: Insufficient or non-functional reflectors and lights on the rear of trucks can make it challenging for drivers to see them clearly, especially at night or in adverse weather conditions.
- Distracted Driving: Distractions, such as texting, talking on the phone, or adjusting the radio, can cause drivers of both smaller and larger vehicles to miss potential hazards, leading to underride accidents.
- Tailgating: Following a large truck too closely reduces the reaction time for drivers behind them, increasing the chances of an underride collision if the truck stops abruptly.
- Slippery Road Conditions: Rain, snow, ice, or oil spills can reduce traction and make it harder for vehicles to stop quickly, increasing the risk of underride accidents.
- Braking System Failure: If a truck's brakes malfunction, the driver may be unable to slow down or stop, creating a hazardous situation for vehicles following behind.
- Speeding: Driving at high speeds reduces the distance available for a driver to stop in time to avoid a collision, making underride accidents more likely.
- Lack of Underride Guards: Some trucks and trailers may not have proper underride guards or they may be poorly designed, failing to prevent smaller vehicles from sliding underneath during a collision.
- Road Design: Poorly designed intersections, lack of clear signage, and inadequate traffic management can contribute to underride accidents.
Recovering Damages in an Underride Accident
Underride accidents are particularly tragic because they often result in fatalities. When a fatality occurs, the family of the deceased must go through the process of filing a wrongful death lawsuit, which is an emotionally and financially taxing process.
Under Texas law, a surviving family member may bring a wrongful death claim if the death was caused by the negligence of another person or entity. Personal injury and wrongful death claims allow families to recover damages to cover funeral costs, medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.
In many cases, the passing of a loved one is only the beginning of a legal battle. The passing of a loved one is already emotionally and financially taxing. When a passing is due to the negligence of another person or entity, the pain and suffering are compounded.
Our Dallas underride accident lawyers are ready to help you fight for justice. We know how to investigate a trucking company's safety record, interview key witnesses, and gather evidence. We will fight for compensation for all damages, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship.
How Our Dallas Underride Accident Lawyers Can Help
If you or a loved one was involved in an underride accident, our Dallas underride accident lawyers are ready to help. We know how to investigate a trucking company's safety record, interview key witnesses, and gather evidence. We will fight for compensation for all damages, including pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of companionship.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Commercial Property Dispute $645,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated a settlement on behalf of a client whose land was taken by a private power line company. The company’s original offer of $430,000 failed to consider the decrease in aesthetic value that the scenic ranch in the Texas Hill Country would incur from the power line installation.
Surgical Negligence $600,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $600,000 settlement for a young woman who was a victim of New Mexico medical malpractice. The woman underwent gallbladder removal surgery; the most common operation in America. The surgeon negligently performed the procedure, allowing bile to spill within the woman’s abdominal cavity before closing her incision.
Wrongful Death of Employee $6.35 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of a man who was killed while on the job due to a product failure. After a short time in litigation, Potts Law Firm was able to settle the case and also received a voluntary worldwide recall of the product; ensuring no one else would suffer injuries or death resulting from the failed product in the future.
East Texas Residential Property $454,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a residential property owner whose East Texas land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $31,343 did not consider damages that the remaining land would incur from the new road build.
Seat Back Failure Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer when the client’s vehicle was struck by another vehicle causing the driver’s seat to collapse backward allowing the client to be thrown into the back seat where she received spinal cord injuries, rendering her a quadriplegic.
Surgical Negligence Confidential Settlement
Potts Law Firm achieved a settlement for a medical malpractice case on behalf of a minor injured during surgery in Kansas.
Defective Airbag Seven-Figure Settlement
Potts Law Firm secured a confidential seven-figure settlement against an automobile manufacturer for the clients when their nine-year-old daughter was killed by the passenger side airbag in this low-energy collision.
Foot Injury $750,000
Potts Law Firm secured a $750,000 settlement for an oil rig worker whose foot was severely injured after being caught in rig tongs. The oil rig company had failed to properly tag out and lock out the tongs after a power outage. When the power returned to the rig, the tongs closed on the worker’s foot, crushing his bones.
Residential Property Roof Damage Substantial Settlement
Partner Andrew A. Woellner was privileged to represent another attorney in his fight against an underpaying insurance carrier. When his home was damaged by hail in Dallas, Texas, the insurance carrier told him that only 3 roof tiles were damaged, and the repair did not exceed the deductible.
Commercial Property Dispute $713,000
Potts Law Firm attorneys negotiated on behalf of a commercial property owner whose land was taken by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT) to make way for new road construction. TxDOT's original offer of $466,396 did not consider other reasonable comparable sales in the area.