Houston Aviation Accident Attorneys
Pursuing Justice for Victims of Commercial & Private Plane Crashes
Commercial and private plane crashes lead to a variety of injuries and fatalities, depending on the circumstances of the accident. Victims and their families should know that they have rights to compensation and are entitled to justice.
At the Potts Law Firm, we are passionate about helping victims and their families obtain the justice they deserve. Our team of aviation accident attorneys can help you file a claim and navigate the complexities of the legal system.
We are dedicated to holding negligent parties accountable for their wrongdoings and can help you seek the compensation you need to recover from your injuries, loss of income, and other damages.
Understanding Commercial & Private Plane Accidents
An aviation accident is an occurrence related to the operation of an aircraft that results in serious or fatal injuries, substantial damage to the aircraft, and/or the aircraft becoming lost or missing.
Commercial and private plane crashes occur for many reasons, such as the following:
- Human Error: Human errors are a leading cause of aviation accidents. Pilots, air traffic controllers, maintenance crews, and other aviation personnel can make mistakes due to various factors, such as fatigue, lack of training or experience, distraction, miscommunication, and inadequate decision-making.
- Mechanical Failures: Technical malfunctions or mechanical failures in aircraft systems can lead to accidents. These failures can include engine problems, electrical system failures, hydraulic issues, and structural defects. Regular maintenance and adherence to safety protocols are crucial in mitigating mechanical failures.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions, such as severe turbulence, thunderstorms, heavy fog, or icing, can challenge even experienced pilots and contribute to accidents. Flight crews and air traffic controllers must be well-informed about weather patterns and take appropriate precautions.
- Runway Incidents: Incidents during takeoff and landing are relatively common. These can include runway excursions, overruns, and landing gear malfunctions. Issues with airport infrastructure or improper procedures can also lead to accidents during these critical phases of flight.
- Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT): CFIT accidents occur when an aircraft unintentionally collides with terrain, obstacles, or water while under the control of the flight crew. Poor visibility, navigation errors, or misinterpretation of instruments can contribute to these accidents.
- Mid-Air Collisions: Collisions between two or more aircraft can happen, often due to errors in air traffic control, pilot misunderstanding of instructions, or failures in collision avoidance systems.
- Fuel Issues: Running out of fuel or fuel management errors can cause accidents. Proper fuel planning, monitoring, and communication between the flight crew and ground personnel are crucial to avoid such situations.
- Loss of Control In-flight (LOC-I): LOC-I occurs when a pilot loses control of the aircraft during flight, often due to abrupt or incorrect maneuvers, stalls, or other aerodynamic factors.
- Air Traffic Control Errors: Mistakes in air traffic control instructions or communication can lead to potentially hazardous situations for aircraft. Clear communication and accurate instructions are vital in preventing accidents.
- Sabotage and Terrorism: Although relatively rare, deliberate acts of sabotage, hijacking, or terrorism can result in aviation accidents with devastating consequences.
Types of Plane Accidents We Handle
Our Houston aviation accident attorneys can help you if you were injured in a plane crash, regardless of whether the crash involved a commercial or private aircraft.
We handle cases involving:
- Private plane crashes
- Commercial plane crashes
- Helicopter crashes
- Airbus crashes
- Boeing crashes
- Cessna crashes
- Piper crashes
- Beechcraft crashes
- Learjet crashes
- Bombardier crashes
- Charter plane crashes
- Air medical plane crashes
- Air cargo plane crashes
- Air tour plane crash
- Air race crash
- Air race crash
Our firm's aviation accident attorneys can also help you if you were injured in a car accident that was caused by a negligent or reckless pilot. You may be eligible to pursue compensation if you were in a car that was struck by a plane that crashed onto the road or if you were in a car that was damaged by a piece of a plane that fell onto the road after a crash.
Why Choose Our Firm?
In the wake of a plane crash, you may be overwhelmed with emotions and the many responsibilities that follow. You may not know where to turn or what to do. We are here to help you get your life back on track.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Transvaginal Mesh Settlements Over $1 Billion
The Potts Law Firm and its joint venture partners have been successful in resolving over $1 billion in transvaginal mesh settlements. Derek H. Potts was one of a handful of plaintiffs’ lawyers from around the country who spearheaded the establishment of what would become the largest medical device MDL consolidations in history.
Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch $184 Million
Derek H. Potts was a member of the Kugel Mesh MDL Plaintiffs Steering Committee which was instrumental in obtaining a $184,000,000 global settlement for several thousand persons who had received the Kugel Mesh hernia patch.
ERISA Class Action Settlement $36 Million
Potts Law Firm served as class counsel in the ERISA class action, Diebold, et al. v. Northern Trust Investments, N.A. et al., 09-Civ-1934 (Diebold), in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois where the Court approved a collective settlement of $36 million dollars for class representatives resulting in millions of dollars returned to investors.
Paraplegic Minor $12 Million
Derek H. Potts and Timothy L. Sifers obtained a $12,100,000 verdict against Lisa Gard, M.D. for medical malpractice involving a minor. The jury found the Salina emergency room doctor to be negligent in her assessment of the minor upon presentation in the emergency room, failing to timely diagnose a rare spinal condition. The case was one of the largest verdicts in history in the State of Kansas.
Fraud Against Lender $10.7 Million
Potts Law Firm represented a United States Bankruptcy Trustee. The case stemmed from the massive bankruptcy of Royce Homes, one of the largest homebuilders in the country. Micah and Chris represented the bankruptcy Trustee against a multitude of defendants, including the chief Lender, for claims related to the homebuilder’s downfall and the fraudulent transfer of assets from the rightful owners, the creditors.
Birth Injury $4.6 Million
Derek H. Potts and Samuel Cullan were members of the plaintiff's trial team which obtained a $4,600,000 verdict for a minor delivered at Bethany Medical Center. Ariana Wilburn, the minor, suffered a spinal cord presentation after being born in the breech position.
Hypoxic-Ischemic Birth Injury $3.5 Million
Potts Law Firm secured a $3,500,000 settlement for a single mother whose infant suffered severe brain damage while being delivered in a New Mexico hospital. The mother, having no previous pregnancy or medical issues, began laboring and immediately went to a hospital. Despite the clear signs of fetal distress and hypoxia (lack of oxygen), the doctor and nurse did not order an emergency cesarean section.
Fraudulent Transfers $2.42 Million
Potts Law Firm represented a Bankruptcy Trustee, resulting in a combined $2.42 million being recovered for creditors of ATP Oil & Gas Company. The claims related to fraudulent transfers of overriding royalty interests in oil & gas properties made by ATP in a failed attempt to liquidate the assets of the company.
Catastrophic Injuries $3.5 Million
Derek H. Potts was co-lead counsel with Thomas Cartmell in representing John Novogradac of Kansas City whose health was neglected during his stay at two nursing home facilities. Mr. Novogradac developed bedsores on his body and had above-knee amputations on both legs after his wounds became severely infected with gangrenous and dead tissue.
Pharmaceutical Birth Defect $1.05 Million
Potts Law Firm secured a $1,050,000 settlement for a mother whose infant suffered birth defects from a pharmaceutical drug that was taken during pregnancy. Though the migraine drug manufacturer knew the medication could cause a fetus to develop a cleft lip and/or cleft palate when consumed by the mother during the early stages of pregnancy, they failed to warn consumers about these dangers.