Houston Car Accident Attorneys
Fighting to Recover Compensation for Houston Car Accident Victims
Getting into a car accident is more than scary: It can in many cases be life-changing. Your resulting injuries will likely lead to a temporary or permanent inability to work, costly medical bills, and other serious consequences. When a car accident is not your fault but instead caused by the negligence of another driver, you have the right to seek damages from the responsible party.
In the aftermath of a car accident, you deserve a committed legal advocate who can help you maximize the value of your personal injury claim, and at Potts Law Firm, it’s all about our power, clients, and results. With over $1 billion recovered for our clients, we understand how these cases are decided in Texas and have the experience, knowledge, and resources needed to secure a favorable result. Our Houston car accident lawyers are ready to fight for you and provide responsive support throughout the legal process so that you can focus on getting better.
On This Page:
We take car accident cases on a contingency basis, meaning you owe our firm nothing unless we win. Call (713) 348-9638 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation today.
How Can I Protect Myself after a Car Accident in Houston, TX?
In the moments after a car accident, your first priority is making sure you and everyone around you are safe. You should confirm any passengers in your car are okay before approaching the other vehicle (if it is safe to do so) to see if anyone else involved in the crash needs emergency medical attention. Do not be afraid to call for an ambulance if you think you or someone else may need hospitalization.
There are certain mistakes you must avoid and other considerations you should keep in mind in the minutes and days after the accident, especially if you are well enough to stay at the scene of the collision. You will want to make every effort to protect your right to recover compensation when an accident was not your fault.
After a car accident, you should:
- Call the police. If anyone is injured, you have to report the crash to Texas law enforcement, so it is in your best interest to ask them to come to the scene and create an official report. This report may serve as an important piece of evidence down the line.
- Avoid unnecessary conversation. While waiting for the police to arrive, do not engage in small talk with the other driver and avoid saying anything that could imply you were at fault. Even at this stage, remember that anything you say can and probably will be used against you. Stay as quiet as possible until the police arrive. Then, relay what happened to the responding officer as objectively and directly as possible.
- Document the crash. Using your smartphone or any other available camera, take pictures and videos of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, and any visible elements that may have contributed to the crash. The more evidence you have, the better.
- Exchange contact information. You will need the other driver’s name, phone number, address, license information, and insurance information. Ask for contact information from any witnesses who saw the collision.
- See your doctor. Schedule an appointment as soon as possible and explain to your doctor that you were in a car accident. They can fully evaluate you for injuries that may not have been immediately apparent at the scene. Their report will also establish a direct link between the crash and your injuries. Be sure to follow all of their treatment advice.
- Call Potts Law Firm. You should assume that the other driver will retain legal representation in an effort to protect themselves. You need attorneys looking out for you, so do not wait to get in touch. After reviewing the details of your case, we will walk you through your legal options and help you understand what we may be able to help you recover.
Have questions about recovering compensation after a Texas car accident? Call (713) 348-9638 or contact us online to get answers. Same-day appointments are available, and we offer our services in English and Spanish.