Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Potts Law Firm is a leading motorcycle accident law firm in Houston, dedicated to protecting the rights of motorcycle accident victims and their families. We understand the devastating impact that motorcycle accidents can have on individuals and their loved ones. We are dedicated to providing compassionate and personalized legal representation, guiding our clients through the legal process and ensuring that their rights are protected every step of the way.
Our team of skilled attorneys has a deep understanding of the laws and regulations surrounding motorcycle accidents in Texas. We work tirelessly to investigate every detail of our clients' cases, gathering evidence, and building a strong case to support their claims.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, we are here to help. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you in obtaining the compensation and justice you deserve.
On This Page:
- Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
- How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
- What Are Some Common Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident?
- What Damages Can I Recover After a Motorcycle Accident?
Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident in Houston
If you've been involved in a motorcycle accident in Houston, it's important to take certain steps to protect your health, safety, and legal rights.
Here are some important things to do after a motorcycle accident:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and safety should be your top priority after an accident. Even if you feel okay, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional to make sure you haven't suffered any serious injuries.
- Call the Police: Contacting the police is crucial after an accident, as they can document the scene, take statements from witnesses, and create a police report that will be important for insurance and legal purposes.
- Gather Information: Collect as much information as possible about the accident, including the other driver's name, contact information, insurance information, and license plate number. Take pictures of the scene, the vehicles involved, and any injuries you may have sustained.
- Contact an Attorney: If you've been injured in a motorcycle accident, it's important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, negotiate with insurance companies, and ensure that your rights are protected.
- Don't Admit Fault: It's important not to admit fault after an accident, even if you think you may have been partially responsible. Let the police and your attorney determine who is at fault for the accident.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident and start the claims process.
Call (713) 348-9638 today to get started on your claim.
It's All About Your RecoveryHear From Our Past Client's
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I highly recommend Adam and Potts Law Firm- Mary H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
How Do Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, and it's important for motorcyclists to be aware of the common causes in order to take precautions to prevent them.
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driver Error: One of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents is driver error. This can include distracted driving, speeding, failing to yield the right-of-way, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting, or riding between two lanes of traffic, is a common cause of motorcycle accidents. It's important to only lane split when it is legal and safe to do so.
- Road Hazards: Uneven pavement, potholes, and other road hazards can be dangerous for motorcyclists, causing them to lose control and crash.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or high winds, can make it difficult for motorcyclists to control their bikes, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Equipment Failure: Mechanical problems with a motorcycle, such as faulty brakes or a defective tire, can also lead to accidents.
By being aware of these causes, riders can take steps to reduce their risk of being involved in a crash, such as wearing protective gear, maintaining their bikes, and riding defensively.
What Are Some Common Injuries After a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, many of which can be serious or even life-threatening, including:
- Head injuries are one of the most serious types of injuries that can result from a motorcycle accident. These can include concussions, traumatic brain injuries, and skull fractures.
- Road rash is a common injury for motorcyclists who are thrown from their bikes during an accident. This injury occurs when the skin scrapes along the pavement, causing abrasions and lacerations.
- The force of impact in a motorcycle accident can result in fractures and broken bones, especially in the arms, legs, and wrists.
- Spinal cord injuries can occur when the spinal cord is compressed or damaged during a motorcycle accident, resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
- The impact of a motorcycle accident can also cause damage to internal organs, such as the liver, spleen, or kidneys.
- Soft tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains, and contusions, can also occur as a result of a motorcycle accident.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Houston, it's important to seek medical attention as soon as possible to ensure that your injuries are properly diagnosed and treated. It's also important to consult with an experienced motorcycle injury attorney, who can help you pursue the compensation you need.
it's all about your best possible resultExplore our past successes
Transvaginal Mesh Settlements Over $1 Billion
The Potts Law Firm and its joint venture partners have been successful in resolving over $1 billion in transvaginal mesh settlements. Derek H. Potts was one of a handful of plaintiffs’ lawyers from around the country who spearheaded the establishment of what would become the largest medical device MDL consolidations in history.
Kugel Mesh Hernia Patch $184 Million
Derek H. Potts was a member of the Kugel Mesh MDL Plaintiffs Steering Committee which was instrumental in obtaining a $184,000,000 global settlement for several thousand persons who had received the Kugel Mesh hernia patch.
ERISA Class Action Settlement $36 Million
Potts Law Firm served as class counsel in the ERISA class action, Diebold, et al. v. Northern Trust Investments, N.A. et al., 09-Civ-1934 (Diebold), in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois where the Court approved a collective settlement of $36 million dollars for class representatives resulting in millions of dollars returned to investors.
Paraplegic Minor $12 Million
Derek H. Potts and Timothy L. Sifers obtained a $12,100,000 verdict against Lisa Gard, M.D. for medical malpractice involving a minor. The jury found the Salina emergency room doctor to be negligent in her assessment of the minor upon presentation in the emergency room, failing to timely diagnose a rare spinal condition. The case was one of the largest verdicts in history in the State of Kansas.
Fraud Against Lender $10.7 Million
Potts Law Firm represented a United States Bankruptcy Trustee. The case stemmed from the massive bankruptcy of Royce Homes, one of the largest homebuilders in the country. Micah and Chris represented the bankruptcy Trustee against a multitude of defendants, including the chief Lender, for claims related to the homebuilder’s downfall and the fraudulent transfer of assets from the rightful owners, the creditors.
Birth Injury $4.6 Million
Derek H. Potts and Samuel Cullan were members of the plaintiff's trial team which obtained a $4,600,000 verdict for a minor delivered at Bethany Medical Center. Ariana Wilburn, the minor, suffered a spinal cord presentation after being born in the breech position.
Hypoxic-Ischemic Birth Injury $3.5 Million
Partner Adam T. Funk secured a $3,500,000 settlement for a single mother whose infant suffered severe brain damage while being delivered in a New Mexico hospital. The mother, having no previous pregnancy or medical issues, began laboring and immediately went to a hospital. Despite the clear signs of fetal distress and hypoxia (lack of oxygen), the doctor and nurse did not order an emergency cesarean section.
Fraudulent Transfers $2.42 Million
Potts Law Firm represented a Bankruptcy Trustee, resulting in a combined $2.42 million being recovered for creditors of ATP Oil & Gas Company. The claims related to fraudulent transfers of overriding royalty interests in oil & gas properties made by ATP in a failed attempt to liquidate the assets of the company.
Catastrophic Injuries $3.5 Million
Derek H. Potts was co-lead counsel with Thomas Cartmell in representing John Novogradac of Kansas City whose health was neglected during his stay at two nursing home facilities. Mr. Novogradac developed bedsores on his body and had above-knee amputations on both legs after his wounds became severely infected with gangrenous and dead tissue.
Pharmaceutical Birth Defect $1.05 Million
Partner Adam T. Funk secured a $1,050,000 settlement for a mother whose infant suffered birth defects from a pharmaceutical drug that was taken during pregnancy. Though the migraine drug manufacturer knew the medication could cause a fetus to develop a cleft lip and/or cleft palate when consumed by the mother during the early stages of pregnancy, they failed to warn consumers about these dangers.