Houston Professional Negligence Attorneys
Representing Houston Individuals and Businesses in Matters of Professional Malpractice
“Professionals” are considered experts or individuals with highly specialized knowledge in their chosen fields. Their acumen requires professionals to live up to a higher standard of care than a non-professional owes to a customer or client.
Individuals and businesses engage with various types of professionals on a regular basis. When you hire one, you expect them to do their job to the best of their ability. While professionals are not immune from honest mistakes, there are instances where their carelessness, recklessness, or outright maliciousness can cause you serious financial harm and other devastating consequences. In these instances, you will need sophisticated legal representation to make things right. At Potts Law Firm, we are committed to helping our clients hold professionals accountable for malpractice. Our Houston professional negligence lawyers understand how to strategically approach these cases and will endeavor to secure the best possible outcome. We have recovered over $1 billion for our clients to date and are ready to provide the aggressive, dependable advocacy you deserve.
You owe our firm no fees unless we win your case, so call (713) 348-9638 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation today. Same-day appointments are available, and we offer services in English and Spanish.
What Is Considered Professional Negligence in Texas?
Professional negligence, also known as malpractice, occurs when an individual professional or an organization that provides professional services violates the heightened duty of care that they owe their patrons. In each professional field, there is an accepted standard of care that a reasonable professional working in that field recognizes as the norm. A professional behaves negligently when they deviate from that standard of care and cause harm to a patron. In determining whether professional conduct constitutes malpractice, a court will consider what another qualified professional would have reasonably done under the same or similar circumstances.
Our Houston professional negligence attorneys can help you explore your legal options in cases involving:
- Ordinary negligence. Professional malpractice may be considered “ordinary negligence” if the damages were the result of the professional’s inattention or carelessness. In other words, they may not have necessarily meant to cause you harm, but their failure to exercise proper care led to damages.
- Gross negligence. Gross negligence occurs when a professional causes harm due to recklessness or deliberate misconduct.
- Negligence per se. A professional commits negligence per se if their actions break a law. It can also occur when a professional does something that is brazenly unethical, unreasonable, or unacceptable to the average person.
- Breach of contract. You will often sign a contract before engaging with a professional. Should the professional’s violation of any provision of the agreement results in your sustaining damages, you can potentially recover compensation through a breach of contract lawsuit.
- Breach of fiduciary duty. Many professionals, such as accountants, are considered fiduciaries, meaning they are legally obligated to act in the best interest of their clients. A professional breaches their fiduciary duty when they act in their own self-interest at the expense of their clients.
- Fraud. Professionals are required to behave honestly, meaning they cannot make any effort to deceive you through intentionally false statements or omitting material facts.
- Violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (TDPA). The DTPA is a state law designed to protect consumers against false and misleading business practices, including breaches of warranty.
If you are not sure whether a professional’s conduct may be considered malpractice under Texas law, we encourage you to get in touch with Potts Law Firm. We can assess the circumstances and ascertain whether your rights were violated.
Do not wait to explore your legal options if you suffered damages due to the negligent or fraudulent actions of a professional individual or organization. Contact us online or call (713) 348-9638 today.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Who Can I Sue for Professional Negligence in Texas?
You can potentially sue any individual professional or any company that offers professional services if their conduct constitutes malpractice under the law and causes you some sort of harm. The professional (or company providing professional services) must be in an industry that customarily involves specialized guidance, skills, and advice. We can help you take legal action against:
- Accountants and accounting firms
- Architects and architectural firms
- Attorneys and law firms
- Counselors and counseling firms
- Dentists and dental facilities
- Designers and design firms
- Doctors and medical facilities
- Engineers and engineering firms
- Estate executors
- Financial advisors
- Funeral homes
- Pharmacists and pharmacies
- Securities brokers
- Tax advisors
- Business consultants and business consulting firms
- Insurance agents, insurance brokers, and insurance companies