LaPlace Car Accident Attorneys
Fighting to Recover Compensation for Car Accident Victims in LaPlace
Getting into any kind of car accident is a nightmare. You will likely suffer serious injuries that lead to mounting medical bills, missed work, and even reductions in your quality of life. You may understandably struggle to move forward, especially as you attempt to navigate the alarming financial realities of your situation. The good news is you likely have legal options if the accident was not your fault. You have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit and seek damages when another driver’s negligence causes you harm.
At Potts Law Firm, our team has an exceptional track record of delivering favorable outcomes in personal injury claims involving vehicular accidents. Our extensive skills and over 250 years of combined experience have allowed us to secure more than $1 billion for our clients. Our LaPlace car accident lawyers are prepared to do whatever it takes to hold the negligent driver accountable and deliver the financial recovery you need to move forward with your life. We recognize what is at stake and will work diligently to secure the best possible outcome.
Our firm frequently handles car accident claims on a contingency basis, so you owe no legal fees unless we win. Contact us online or call (985) 236-0573 to schedule a free initial consultation. Same-day appointments are available, and we offer services in English and Spanish.
Why Car Accidents Happen in LaPlace, LA
Whenever someone gets behind the wheel of their vehicle, they owe it to everyone else on the road to behave responsibly and follow all traffic laws. When a driver makes reckless or irresponsible decisions, they are more likely to cause an accident, threatening the safety of others and themselves. Violating traffic laws or otherwise behaving in a way another driver would not in similar circumstances tends to constitute negligence in car accident cases. This means the driver becomes legally responsible for any harm they cause due to their negligent conduct.
Common causes of car accidents in Louisiana include:
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Distracted driving, including texting and driving
- Failing to signal when changing lanes or turning
- Running stop lights or traffic lights
Not all car accidents are caused by another driver’s negligence, however. In some cases, an accident is neither driver’s fault. Adverse weather conditions, debris in the road, or an auto defect can all cause collisions. In these instances, a party other than the other driver may be liable for your injuries. Our LaPlace car accident attorneys can investigate the circumstances of the accident, determine liability, and advise whether you have a case.
What Should I Do after a Car Accident in LaPlace, LA?
It can be easy to feel overwhelmed after a crash, even if you have been involved in a collision before. You will obviously want to make sure you and everyone else are okay and do not need an ambulance. Do not hesitate to go the hospital if you need emergency medical attention. You should also check on the other driver and their passengers once it is safe to do so.
If you are well enough to stay at the scene of the crash, there are several things you should do (and avoid doing) to protect your ability to recover compensation. Failing to gather certain types of information or saying the wrong thing can make it more difficult to get the money you deserve down the road.
After a Louisiana car accident, you should:
- Call 9-1-1: In Louisiana, you are required to report the accident to the police if anyone was injured, so immediately get in touch with law enforcement, let them know where you are, and ask them to come to the scene. The responding officer will generate a crash report that will likely be crucial to your personal injury claim.
- Avoid unnecessary conversation: It is in your best interest to stay silent whenever possible, as anything you say might eventually be used against you in court. Even an offhand comment like “I am okay” could be distorted to argue you were not seriously injured, for example. Once you have confirmed everyone involved in the accident, keep quiet until the police arrive. Then, be honest, thorough, and objective when describing what happened. Keep the conversation in which you exchange information with the other driver brief and to-the-point.
- Gather evidence: Using your smartphone or another camera, take photos and videos of the accident area, including your injuries and damage to your vehicle. Document as much as possible.
- Get the other driver’s information: You need their name, phone number, address, license information, and insurance information. Be firm when declining any offer to settle the matter without the involvement of the insurance companies.
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor: You will need a full medical evaluation from a trusted provider after a car accident to determine the complete scope of your injuries. Try to see your doctor as soon as you can so that you can establish a link between your injuries and the crash.
- Reach out to Potts Law Firm: You should assume the other driver will contact an attorney, who will get to work on building a defense. Do not respond to any communications from the other driver, their legal representative, or their insurance company until you have a had a chance to discuss the details of your case with a lawyer, even if they offer what appears to be a fair settlement. We can take over case communications and help you navigate the next steps.
You have very little time to act after a car accident in Louisiana, so do not wait to call (985) 236-0573 or contact us online today.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
Trucking Accident $1.05 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of Kook Oh who was killed by an 18-wheeler in Alvarado, Texas. Mr. Dortch sued the driver of the 18-wheeler and his employer. Following a week-long jury trial, Micah’s client received a verdict awarding over one million dollars in damages and a finding of punitive liability on the part of each of the defendants. I
Pedestrian Accident $652,000
Potts Law Firm represented a client who was run over by a drunk driver at a truck stop in Missouri. The client, a truck driver at the time, was walking from his parked truck toward the truck stop showers using a clearly marked crosswalk. As he was walking across the crosswalk, a speeding drunk driver ran him over.