LaPlace Commercial Attorneys
Representing LaPlace Businesses in Commercial Litigation and Other Matters
Sooner or later, your business will encounter a situation that requires legal guidance, no matter its size or level of caution. When that time comes, you will need capable legal advocates who are familiar with the needs of your specific industry and are prepared to do whatever it takes to protect your interests.
At Potts Law Firm, we are proud to offer a comprehensive suite of legal services to businesses of all sizes throughout Louisiana. From complex litigation to entity formation to contract negotiation, our LaPlace commercial lawyers have the power and resources to do it all, and it’s all about getting you the best possible result. With over 250 years of combined legal experience, we are confident we can offer your organization the sophisticated representation it deserves.
If you are a business leader who needs legal advice or is seeking representation, we encourage you to schedule a free initial consultation by calling (985) 236-0573 or contacting us online. Same-day appointments are available, and we provide our services in English and Spanish.
Types of Commercial Litigation We Handle in Louisiana
While your business might make every effort to avoid unnecessary confrontations and conflicts, some disputes are inevitable or may result from the actions of parties acting outside your control. A person, organization, or government could accuse your company of wrongdoing, or you may discover that another individual or entity is violating your business’s rights. You need to be ready when it comes time to defend your organization or enforce its rights. No matter the scenario, you can depend on Potts Law Firm to help you explore the full extent of your legal options and successfully navigate these disputes.
Our LaPlace commercial attorneys can represent your business in many types of litigation, including conflicts involving:
- Breaches of contract. Businesses frequently enter into legal agreements when working with other companies, suppliers, clients, and other third parties. These contracts must be carefully drafted to ensure they are enforceable, reflect your organization’s objectives, delineate acceptable contingencies, and generally protect the interests of your company in all conceivable outcomes. We can help you draft, negotiate, and finalize contracts of all kinds, and we can also represent you as a plaintiff or defendant in any breach of contract litigation. If your business suffered losses as the result of a contract violation, we can help you seek damages.
- Breaches of fiduciary duty. Corporate board members, lawyers, accountants, bankers, and insurance agents are all examples of fiduciaries that a company may engage in the course of doing business. Fiduciaries are legally required to act in good faith and the best interests of their clients. When a violation of this duty results in financial harm, your business will likely need to consider legal action to hold the offending party accountable and recover compensation.
- COVID-19 and business insurance. Many companies have suffered catastrophic losses because of pandemic-related business closures. Many insurance providers are claiming business insurance policies do not cover pandemic-related events, deepening the impact and putting many companies in perilous financial positions. Depending on the specific language of your policy and the nature of your losses, your business may still be eligible for coverage. Our team can assess your situation, walk you through your options, and fight to get you fair and full compensation.
- Real estate disputes. Businesses routinely rely on commercial real estate to conduct operations. For other companies, developing, selling, or managing real estate is the core of their businesses. Real estate law is inherently complicated, but we have experience assisting owners, investors, limited liability companies (LLCs), developers, and landlords in these matters. We have specifically handled cases involving title disputes, sale agreements, landlord-tenant problems, residential subdivisions, deeds, retail centers, medical centers, and more.
- Qui tam whistleblower lawsuits. A qui tam lawsuit involves someone with knowledge of alleged fraud perpetrated against the government to “blow the whistle” and sue the entity involved on the government’s behalf. We are well-versed in how to effectively represent businesses in False Claims Act cases and are prepared to vigorously defend you from beginning to end.
Legal Guidance in Handling Your Louisiana Company’s Internal Issues
Not all business matters warranting legal attention will require going to court. We are also prepared to help you with internal concerns.
Our LaPlace commercial lawyers can assist you with:
- Forming a new business entity: A company’s entity type will influence how it is taxed, how it operates, and the level of personal liability its owners and partners take on. We can help you evaluate your options and set you up for success.
- Preparing and reviewing contracts: From employment agreements to restrictive covenants, we are ready to meet all of your contracting needs.
- Protecting trade secrets: Your business must make every effort to maintain the secrecy of the proprietary information that allows you to remain competitive. We can help you implement best practices for safeguarding trade secrets, including the use of nondisclosure non-compete agreements.
- Enforcing intellectual property rights: We can help you register patents, trademarks, and copyrights. If another person or entity uses any of your intellectual property without your permission, we can carry out enforcement actions and, if necessary, seek compensation for damages.
- Navigating employment disputes. If an employee alleges wrongful termination, retaliation, sexual harassment, unpaid wages, or any other form of misconduct, we can evaluate the circumstances and work to facilitate a swift resolution that avoids litigation.
- Assessing mergers and acquisitions. These seismic transactions radically transform a company. Conducting thorough due diligence is a necessity, and we can provide seasoned support every step of the way.
Do not wait to get legal advice if you believe your business may become involved in any type of litigation. Contact us online or call (985) 236-0573 today.
It's All About Your RecoveryHear From Our Past Client's
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I highly recommend Adam and Potts Law Firm- Mary H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
IT'S ALL ABOUT OUR INSIGHTFollow Potts Law Firm's Latest News & Thoughts
it's all about your best possible resultExplore our past successes
Fraudulent Transfers $2.42 Million
Potts Law Firm represented a Bankruptcy Trustee, resulting in a combined $2.42 million being recovered for creditors of ATP Oil & Gas Company. The claims related to fraudulent transfers of overriding royalty interests in oil & gas properties made by ATP in a failed attempt to liquidate the assets of the company.