New Orleans Insurance Lawyers
Understanding Insurance Bad Faith
An insurance policy is a contract between the insured and the insurer. Both parties have certain responsibilities; policyholders must pay their premiums and meet other terms, while insurance companies must fairly investigate and pay out claims when they arise. When an insurance company fails to uphold its obligations to the policyholder, it has acted in “bad faith” and can be held liable for any resulting damages.
The New Orleans insurance lawyers at Potts Law Firm represent individuals in bad faith insurance claims against insurance providers that have failed to meet their legal duties to policyholders and claimants. If you believe that an insurance company has wrongfully denied your claim, unjustly delayed payment, or otherwise acted in bad faith, reach out to our team right away to learn how we can help.
You can reach us online using our secure contact form, or you can call our office at (506) 677-8259. We offer free, no-obligation consultations and case evaluations.
Common Examples of Insurance Bad Faith
Insurance bad faith is, essentially, a form of professional negligence. It occurs when an insurance agent, adjuster, or company fails to provide the same level of service that another ordinarily prudent and similarly qualified party would in the same or similar circumstances.
Some examples of insurance bad faith practices include:
- Unreasonably delaying investigations into claims filed
- Denying claims without providing a valid reason
- Failing to pay valid insurance claims
- Undervaluing/underpaying insurance claims
- Refusing to compensate claimants for covered losses
- Delaying decisions regarding medical treatment approval
- Committing insurance fraud
- Making threatening statements or harassing claimants
- Making unreasonable demands for documents and other information
- Failing to acquiesce to reasonable requests for documentation and other information
- Misrepresenting the terms or conditions of an insurance policy
- Changing an insurance policy after a claim has been filed
These are just some examples of how an insurance company may fail to uphold its obligations to a policyholder or claimant. If you believe that your insurance provider has acted in bad faith in any way, you should consider speaking to a knowledgeable attorney as soon as possible about your legal rights and options.
Suing an Insurance Company for Acting in Bad Faith
The insurance industry is one of the most heavily regulated sectors in the United States. Insurance providers must adhere to numerous guidelines, laws, rules, and restrictions. When they fail to do this, they can be held civilly liable for affected parties’ resulting damages.
If you believe you may have grounds for a bad faith lawsuit against an insurance provider, you should do the following:
- Review your insurance policy and make sure you understand your rights and coverage under the policy. You may want to have an attorney review your policy with you or on your behalf.
- Keep all evidence of bad faith practices, including copies of your policy and your claim, any documents or communication you have received from the insurance company, etc.
- Contact an experienced insurance attorney and provide them with all evidence and documentation related to your case.
Insurance bad faith practices are illegal; if your insurance company has acted in bad faith, by denying a valid claim or any other unlawful act, you have the right to sue for damages. We strongly encourage you to reach out to the team at Potts Law Firm for help with your lawsuit. Going up against an insurance company is no easy feat. These companies have large legal teams whose sole job is to defend against bad faith claims. You need an equally powerful team by your side.
Get in touch with us today at (506) 677-8259 to schedule a complimentary case evaluation. You can also reach us online using our secure contact form.
It's All About Your RecoveryHear From Our Past Client's
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I highly recommend Adam and Potts Law Firm- Mary H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Advocating Tirelessly for Claimants’ Rights
At Potts Law Firm, we are committed to fighting for you and your recovery. Our New Orleans insurance bad faith attorneys assist clients with all types of insurance claims, including those involving fire and smoke damage, flooding, hurricane damage, windstorm damage, tornado damage, commercial insurance, business interruption, and more. We have extensive experience and a proven track record of success in handling complex litigation against some of the nation’s largest insurance providers. Our team is ready to protect your rights and advocate for your maximum recovery, even if that means taking your case to court.