New Orleans Intellectual Property Lawyers
Aggressive Legal Protection for Intellectual Property Owners
Intellectual property includes intangible property that provides some value to the owner or creator, including creative works, original ideas, systems, and inventions. As the owner or creator of intellectual property, you have certain rights regarding how that property is used, distributed, or managed.
At Potts Law Firm, we help creators seek copyrights, trademarks, patents, and other intellectual property protections meant to safeguard their rights. We also assist clients in all types of intellectual property disputes. Our New Orleans intellectual property lawyers have vast experience handling copyright and trademark infringement claims, trade secret disputes, and related legal issues. We are ready to guide you through the legal process and fight for the best possible outcome on your behalf.
Continue reading to learn more, or contact our New Orleans office today at (506) 677-8259 to schedule a free initial consultation.
Examples of Intellectual Property
There are countless examples of intellectual property, as nearly all creative works of the mind are classified as such.
Some of the most common examples of intellectual property include:
- Literary works, such as books and plays
- Product names
- Branding and marketing products
- Domain names
- Engineering information
- Product ingredients and recipes
- Commercial processes
- Business plans
- Names and images
- Sound recordings
- Industrial designs
- Trade secrets
- Artwork, including paintings and digital artwork
These and other types of intellectual property can be protected by various government entities, including the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Copyright office. Certain laws also protect intellectual property rights, including both federal and state regulations.
Understanding Copyrights, Trademarks & Other Intellectual Property Protections
There are four different types of intellectual property protections, each of which protects different types of intellectual property and offers different rights to creators/owners.
The four different types of intellectual property protections include:
- Copyrights: Copyrights are issued to protect “original works of authorship.” This includes literary works, writings, art, music, architecture, and other expressions. As long as a copyright is in effect, the owner of the copyright retains the sole right to license, display, perform, or share the copyrighted work (with some exceptions, including the “fair use” exception).
- Trademarks: Trademarks are issued to protect brands, including identifying materials that indicate the source of a given product. This includes things like slogans, logos, product designs, and marketing materials, such as words and phrases. Trademarks do not only protect these materials but also prohibit any materials that may have a “likelihood of confusion.” This helps prevent counterfeit.
- Patents: Patents are issued to protect new inventions, scientific creations, or processes. Specifically, utility patents cover new or improved products, machines, and processes. Design patents cover the specific look of a product, and plant patents prohibits anyone other than the patent holder to copy, use, or sell the characteristics of new, unique plants.
- Trade Secrets: Trade secrets refer to confidential business information that are not widely known by the public and which provide an economic benefit to the owner or controller of the trade secret by not being known by the public or another party. Examples of trade secrets include product formulations, client information, engineering information, and business plans.
Call (506) 677-8259 or contact us online to get started.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I highly recommend Adam and Potts Law Firm- Mary H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
How an Intellectual Property Lawyer Can Help You
Whether you are seeking a copyright or patent, are dealing with trademark infringement, or need help navigating any other dispute involving intellectual property and intellectual property rights, an attorney from Potts Law Firm can help. As your legal team, we can assist with all aspects of your claim, including but not limited to:
- Preparing documents and assisting in filing for copyrights, trademarks, and patents
- Reviewing criteria for trade secret designation
- Working with patent and trademark offices on your behalf
- Representing you in unfair dealings with individuals and commercial entities that have violated your intellectual property rights
- Composing formal cease and desist letters and other related documents
- Filing a copyright, trademark, or patent infringement lawsuit
- Seeking restitution for damages following copyright, trademark, or patent infringement, as well as unlawful use of trade secrets
- Defending against intellectual property infringement allegations
We have extensive knowledge of state and federal intellectual property laws and can interpret complex legal jargon in a way that is clear, straightforward, and easy to understand. We want to make sure that you fully understand your rights and feel confident in the direction of your case as you work with our team.