Boat and Jet Ski Accident Attorneys
Fighting to Recover Compensation for Boat and Jet Ski Accident Victims
Many people use boats and jet skis to enjoy water sports and other recreational activities. While many boaters make every effort to safely operate their vessels and share the water with others, careless or reckless conduct can lead to devastating collisions that have been known to cause catastrophic injuries.
If you have been injured in a boating crash, you deserve to recover compensation for your injuries and other losses. Our team at Potts Law Firm has the experience, power, and reach needed to provide you with comprehensive legal support. We have secured over $1 billion for our clients and are prepared to assist you wherever you are. Our boat and jet ski accident lawyers are responsive to your needs and understand what is at stake, which is why we will always pursue the best possible outcome.
You pay nothing unless we win your case, so do not wait to schedule a free initial consultation by calling (888) 420-1299 or contacting us online. Same-day appointments are available, and we provide our services in English and Spanish.
What Should I Do after a Boat or Jet Ski Accident?
We associate boats and jet skis with fun, warm-weather activities, not dangerous collisions. Though many boaters are intellectually familiar with the safety features of their watercraft, not everyone has experience responding to an emergency. In addition to ensuring the safety of everyone involved in the immediate aftermath of an accident, there are vital steps you should take to protect your right to recover compensation.
After suffering injuries in a boat or jet ski accident, you should:
- Confirm everyone is aboard. Both vessels should do a headcount to ensure everyone is out of the water. If anyone has fallen overboard as a result of the crash, get them to safety as quickly as possible.
- Move the boats to a safe place. If a vessel is no longer seaworthy due to damage sustained in the collision, you will likely need to relocate all passengers to the other watercraft. It may be prudent to move all involved vessels out of the way of oncoming traffic or even attempt to get to shore, if possible. Use your best judgment, but stay together.
- Contact law enforcement. You may be required to call the police if either vessel was considerably damaged and/or if anyone suffered serious injuries. Depending on your location, police may not be able to come to the scene of the accident. In fact, there are often no “scene reports” in boating accidents unless police patrol boats happened to be present on the water. This means you may need to file a full report with the appropriate authorities after you leave the scene, but you should still contact law enforcement and see if they can come to assist.
- Take photos and videos. It is in your best interest to gather as much evidence as possible, so try to get photos and videos of the damage to each vessel as well as your injuries. Be sure to save any photos or videos you or someone else took in the moments before or during the collision.
- Exchange contact information. You will need the other boater’s name, phone number, address, insurance information, and boat registration number.
- See a doctor. Once you are able to return to shore, get a full medical evaluation right away, no matter the perceived extent of your injuries. You need to document the link between the boating accident and any injuries you sustained, and some conditions may not be immediately apparent.
- Call our boat and jet ski attorneys. Having seasoned legal advocates by your side can make it easier to get the compensation you are entitled to under the law. At Potts Law Firm, we will quickly review your circumstances and give you an honest assessment of your case, including whether we can represent you.
What Types of Compensation Can I Recover in a Boat or Jet Ski Accident Lawsuit?
To recover damages after a boating accident, you will need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party by your state’s deadline. In most cases, you will seek compensation from a negligent boater whose conduct caused the crash. However, if you wait too long to pursue litigation, your claim will almost certainly be dismissed, and you will be unable to recover anything. Should someone suffer fatal injuries in a boating accident, qualifying survivors will get additional time from the date of the victim’s passing to file a wrongful death claim.
Our boat and jet ski lawyers will make every effort to recover compensation for all applicable damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A lack of police reports, traffic lanes, and traffic signals make it crucial to establish liability through the use of available physical evidence and witness testimony. Otherwise, it will be difficult to prove the defendant negligent and recover damages. We understand what it takes to win these cases and will give you the time your claim deserves.
What Are the Common Causes of Boating and Jet Ski Accidents?
Some collisions are the result of a failure to follow local boating laws and accepted safe practices for watercraft operation. Alcohol is among the leading contributing factors to boating accidents in the United States. “Boating while intoxicated” (BWI) is a criminal offense that can lead to an arrest and severe penalties for someone operating a vessel while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Leveraging these cases for personal injury litigation generally requires accessing the criminal file from the district or county attorney’s office. You can still attempt to recover damages from an intoxicated boater regardless of whether criminal charges are pursued or whether the boater is convicted.
Were you recently injured in a boating or jet ski accident and are not sure what to do next? Call (888) 420-1299 or contact us online to discuss your situation with our team.
“They were able to complete it in a timely manner and were great at keeping me up to date with communication throughout the entire process. I highly recommend using this law firm if the need arises.”- Stephen P.
“Michael Bins has been extremely helpful in helping us to navigate a situation with an insurance claim on a commercial property. He’s gone above and beyond in moving our case toward a positive resolution that we’re satisfied with.”- Theo C.
“They know the law from every angle, dig deep, and will not accept anything less than what was asked in the original suit. The Potts team never backed down until the case was settled in full.”- Molly H.