Car Accident Attorneys
Fighting to Recover Compensation for Car Accident Victims
A car accident can quickly turn your life upside down. Many car accident victims go through a range of emotions after a traumatic experience, including disbelief, anger, confusion, denial, and frustration. They are also overwhelmed by having to deal with uncooperative insurance companies, costly medical bills, the consequences of missed work, and other out-of-pocket expenses. Many victims inevitably feel like they are alone and that no help is available.
At Potts Law Firm, you are never alone. We empathize with the stress you are experiencing and understand what needs to be done to make things better. Our primary goal is to force the at-fault driver’s insurance company to accept responsibility for the accident and provide you with the compensation you need to cover losses and get back on your feet. Our respected car accident attorneys have recovered over a billion dollars for clients in personal injury cases and are ready to put our experience and skills to work for you. Let us handle the legal process so that you can focus on getting better.
If you have suffered injuries due to the actions of a negligent driver, call (888) 420-1299 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. Our firm offers same-day appointments and services in English and Spanish.
What You Should Do After a Car Accident
There are several steps a car accident victim should take to protect their rights after an accident. These guidelines only apply if you do not require emergency medical attention. Do not hesitate to go to the nearest hospital if you have sustained critical injuries.
If you can stay at the scene of the car accident, you should:
- Call the Police Department. It may seem like common sense, but you would be surprised by how many people do not report vehicular collisions to the police. All this does is give the defendant and their insurance company an opportunity to dispute the facts and blame you for the accidents. Keep in mind that many states require drivers to call the police and stay at the scene until they arrive if a collision causes any injuries. Police officers must be trained in “accident reconstruction” as part of their hiring process. Most officers investigating a crash scene will have investigated hundreds (if not thousands) of incidents. The first thing a defendant’s insurance company will do after learning of an accident is order the police report to ensure their driver is listed as “at fault” for the collision. Unfortunately, the majority of defendants lie about their culpability in an accident. In other words, it is never their fault. This makes the police’s accident report a critical piece of evidence that our car accident attorneys often leverage to silence the defendants’ lies. Insurance companies rarely argue the findings of an investigation, which is why it is paramount that you call the police and make sure fault is accurately established.
- Collect Witness Names and Contact Information. It may surprise you, but a witness statement can sometimes carry even more weight than a police report. Why? Unlike the police officer who shows up after the accident to try to put the pieces together, a witness can testify to exactly what happened in front of them. If there is a dispute between what a witness and the police report say, the witness often wins out. It could be difficult to obtain witness information given the circumstances of the collision (including where the crash occurred and whether anyone stopped), but you must make every effort to get their names, addresses, and phone numbers if you can. You will also need the contact information of the other driver involved in the accident, including their license and insurance information.
- Seek a Medical Evaluation. An unfortunate mistake many car accident victims make is not getting medical attention for minor injuries under the belief they will get better on their own. Even seemingly less-serious injuries may require medical intervention, and there may also be injuries that are not obvious to the naked eye. The only way you can catch every consequence, link them to the crash, and get the resources you need to get better is to see a doctor. Active treatment and therapy for your injuries can minimize inflammation, adjust spinal abnormalities, and relieve pain. Additionally, promptly getting medical care will help prevent any “gaps in treatment” arguments that are likely to come from the defendant’s insurance company.
- Contact an Attorney. It is always a good idea to consult with legal counsel after a car accident so that you can learn more about your rights and options, including the potential value of your claim. At The Potts Law Firm, we will listen to the facts of your case and give you an honest assessment of whether we can represent you. No case is too big or small. If we can represent you, we start immediately. If we cannot take your case, we will still give you tips and advice on how to handle things yourself so that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. Remember, the insurance company is not your friend, and they will do everything they can to avoid liability or pay you as little as possible.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Car Accident Lawsuit?
You only have a limited amount of time to take legal action after a car accident. The statute of limitations varies by state: You could have as little as one year, or you might have more time. Surviving relatives of a car accident victim who was fatally injured will get additional time from the date of their loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
These deadlines are strict, so you will be unable to recover any damages if you miss them. Therefore, you should get legal advice as soon as you can after a crash to ensure you do not file too late.
In a car accident lawsuit, you can potentially secure compensation for monetary and non-monetary damages. Monetary damages represent out-of-pocket expenses, while non-monetary damages do not have dollar amounts associated with them and can be more challenging to calculate. A trial may not necessarily be required if the defendant agrees to a just settlement, and our team will work to negotiate a swift resolution whenever possible.
Our car accident lawyers will fight to recover compensation for all losses, including:
- Past, current, and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Do not wait to discuss your car accident injuries with a legal professional. Call (888) 420-1299 or contact us online today!
What If I Was Partially At-Fault?
If you are unsure if you have a case, don’t hesitate to call us today for a free consultation. Our team of experienced attorneys are ready to review your claim and fight for you.
IT'S ALL ABOUT OUR CLIENT'ShEAR fROM OTHERS WHO HAVE WORKED WITH OUR TEAM
“They were able to complete it in a timely manner and were great at keeping me up to date with communication throughout the entire process. I highly recommend using this law firm if the need arises.”- Stephen P.
“Michael Bins has been extremely helpful in helping us to navigate a situation with an insurance claim on a commercial property. He’s gone above and beyond in moving our case toward a positive resolution that we’re satisfied with.”- Theo C.
“From the first meeting, Adam made me feel like he had my best interest at heart and took care of everything. I can't say enough good things about how helpful, professional, and caring Adam was to me.”- Mary H.
At Potts Law Firm, we believe the details of your case matter and we work tirelessly to pursue just compensation on your behalf. Our team of experienced attorneys and staff are backed with the resources they need to win regardless of the obstacles your case faces. We do this all while keeping an open line of communication with you.