Springfield, MO Car Accident Lawyer
Motor Vehicle Accidents in Missouri
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your resulting medical bills, financial losses, and physical and mental pain and suffering. Under Missouri’s traditional fault-based system, you can file a claim against the at-fault driver (or another liable party) for damages—and Potts Law Firm can help.
From our office in Springfield, our car accident lawyers provide dedicated, one-on-one legal representation to accident victims and their loved ones. We understand that this is a very difficult time in your life. Right now, you should be focused on getting the care you need to heal; let our team handle the legal details of your case, including working with the insurance company for the fair settlement you are owed.
Call us at (417) 323-6752 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Springfield, MO car accident lawyers today. Hablamos español.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents?
In Missouri, as in most places, car accidents are commonly the result of motorist negligence. In other words, the majority of motor vehicle accidents are entirely preventable.
Specifically, some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Unsafe or illegal driving maneuvers
- Traffic law violations
- Unsafe road conditions
- Defective or poorly maintained roadways
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Road rage
- Following too closely
- Auto defects
- Failure to obey red lights, stop signs, and other traffic control devices
If you believe that someone else was at fault for the accident, we encourage you to reach out to our team at Potts Law Firm. Even if you were partly to blame, you could still have a claim under Missouri’s rule of pure comparative negligence. Our attorneys can review your case at no cost and explain your legal options moving forward.
What to Do After a Motor Vehicle Accident
If you are involved in a car accident, there are several things you should do immediately after the crash and in the days, weeks, and months following the accident. Taking these steps can not only help ensure a faster recovery but can also improve your ability to successfully seek fair compensation for your accident-related damages.
After a motor vehicle accident, try to do the following:
- Remain at the scene of the accident. It is illegal in Missouri to leave the scene of a crash without stopping to render reasonable aid and exchange information with others involved.
- Check yourself and others for injuries. Move to a place of safety, but do not move anyone who appears seriously injured unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. If necessary, call 911.
- Seek immediate medical attention, even if you believe that you were not injured or that your injuries are minor. You should always see a medical provider after an accident.
- Call the police and wait for them to arrive at the scene of the accident. The responding officer can create an official accident report at the scene.
- Using your cellphone, take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle, and your injuries (if possible). You should also get the other driver’s contact and insurance information.
- Follow all of your doctor’s recommendations and treatment plans in the days, weeks, and months after the accident, including taking prescribed medications and attending check-ups.
- Avoid speaking to adjusters from the other party’s insurance company. Do not sign anything or agree to any settlement without first speaking to a lawyer.
- As soon as possible after the crash, contact a car accident attorney who can help you protect your rights and seek maximum compensation for your damages.
At Potts Law Firm, we work quickly to identify valid cases and pursue aggressive legal action. Our attorneys can meet with you at no cost to determine whether you have a case. We are always honest and will provide professional counsel based on decades of combined experience.
Call (417) 323-6752 or reach us online using our free and secure case evaluation form.
I had a wonderful experience with this law firm.- Stephen P.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him or any of the team at Potts.- Theo C.
The Potts Law Firm is a powerhouse of brilliant attorneys.- Molly H.
I would recommend Potts Law Firm for any and all legal matters that come my way in the future!- W. Gary
Great law firm!- Hugo G.
The statute of limitations—or filing deadline—for most car accident lawsuits in Missouri is five years from the date of the accident. This means that, if you were injured in the crash, you usually have five years to file a lawsuit against the liable party. However, if your loved one died due to a car accident, you have just three years to bring a wrongful death lawsuit.
It should also be noted that these deadlines apply to lawsuits—not insurance claims. In fact, in many cases, you have far less time to file an insurance claim after an accident. Most insurance companies require claimants to file within a few days or about a week after the accident. Make sure you review your auto insurance policy and, if you have any questions or concerns about filing an insurance claim after a car accident, contact Potts Law Firm.
Trucking Accident $1.05 Million
Potts Law Firm served as lead counsel for the family of Kook Oh who was killed by an 18-wheeler in Alvarado, Texas. Mr. Dortch sued the driver of the 18-wheeler and his employer. Following a week-long jury trial, Micah’s client received a verdict awarding over one million dollars in damages and a finding of punitive liability on the part of each of the defendants. I
Pedestrian Accident $652,000
Potts Law Firm represented a client who was run over by a drunk driver at a truck stop in Missouri. The client, a truck driver at the time, was walking from his parked truck toward the truck stop showers using a clearly marked crosswalk. As he was walking across the crosswalk, a speeding drunk driver ran him over.